FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Also looking for advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
is a Nali Poster

Location: Buffalo,NY. A drinking town with a football problem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:53 am GMT    Post subject: Also looking for advice Reply with quote

I'm getting my tax return soon. As many of us gamers know it can be a very happy time of year. It can also lead to some extreme buyers remorse.

I'm not the techiest person in the world when it comes to hardware so I'm in need of some good advice.

I was reading what you guys were saying to Capt. Teabags and I couldn't make heads or tails of most of it. So I've gotta put my question and phrase what I want as simply as possible. (for my sake, lol, not for you guys.) Smilie

I'm looking for a system thatcan run Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion well.

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion System Requirements

Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
* ATI X1800 series
* ATI X1600 series
* ATI X1300 series
* ATI X850 series
* ATI x800 series
* ATI x700 series
* ATI x600 series
* ATI Radeon 9800 series
* ATI Radeon 9700 series
* ATI Radeon 9600 series
* ATI Radeon 9500 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX series

I'd LIKE to be able to run UT3 when it comes out, but I'm not looking to dump money into a physics card or DX10 stuff just yet this year.

I need to ask too, if a system can run Oblivion fairly well, it would be able to run FEAR well also right? I'll find the system requirements if anyone wants me to.

From what I've gathered the Intel Dual Core stuff is top notch atm for gaming?

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what site/company offers the best deals for gaming rigs?

Alsokeep in mind that I'd prefer to avoid Windows Vista if possible, BUT if it helps run games like Oblivion and such better what with DX10 support and all,.. I'll tolerate Vista in hopes of getting a DX10 compatible card in the future ya know.

Like I said I'm no techie, just a lucky bum with a nice tax return and high hopes. lol

Thanks for any advice peeps. See ya gameside this weekend if I can help it.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you the same thing I have told other people who have asked me to shop for a computer for them. Tell me how much you want to spend, and what you want to do with the computer. I'll put together the best computer I can for the money. We know what you want to do, how much do you want to spend?

Do you need a monitor?
cd/dvd burner?
Keyboard and mouse?
How much disk space is important to you?
Do you need an OS?

Are you capable of putting the machine together yourself?

I can tell you right now that minimum specs are a terrible standard to set. Determine how much you're willing to spend, and answer the above questions, and I'm sure more than a few of us could throw together a screaming system for you.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flex is right on. You need to start with a price and work from there. Also, I'd definitely include Vista in your build. It's been running great for me. You'll have a few issues early on, but Vista is the future. There's no point in buying an os that's already obsolete.

OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with flex, give a ball park price and get the best you can afford, we then look over what can be bought and may say if you go another $100 this works much better. There are deals to be had and as flex I have sites I watch for deals.
is a Nali Poster

Location: Buffalo,NY. A drinking town with a football problem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally sorry about that guys. I've never asked about pc buying before, just kinda poked around other people's threads, so I'm kinda noob at this, lol.

Umm,.. OK. I'm looking at having around $600-1000 to spend. I know it's kinda ghetto, but I'm saving lots of our tax return to get the kid's savings accounts started.

I've tried looking around a few of the sites that offer the menus and stuff to customize a PC, like at ibuypower.com and cyberpowerpc.com, but I just don't know if those are the best deals price-wise. They may very well be, I just kinda want to know if anyone has any better suggestions ya know.

I don't need a monitor, or speakers or a fancy sound card really. I use those big old DJ style headphones when I game.

Mainly all I need is the tower itself (and what goes in it, heh heh). You know the reeeally expensive parts. */whimper*

I'll try and provide some more detail and stuff as soon as I narrow down the field. Sorry to come off so noobish, I know some of you guys go through this trying to help ppl like weekly, soafter seeing like the 1billionth postlike mine it can get annoying. Embarassed
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and provide some more detail and stuff as soon as I narrow down the field. Sorry to come off so noobish, I know some of you guys go through this trying to help ppl like weekly, soafter seeing like the 1billionth postlike mine it can get annoying.

We doin't mind, and we want you to have the best you can afford with out a mistake. We all were noobs at one time only we have been in it alot longer and still I ask questions about hardware "not to ask is wishing you did later"
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:
"not to ask is wishing you did later"

Truer words were never spoken. Plus we actually think this kind of stuff is fun. Dang geeks I tell ya!
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my two cents in here as well, since I'm looking at a future build of my own (my first self-build) sometime late next year.

If you're going to buy a pre-built system, some of the lower end Dell's may be your best bet (remember, you'll be getting Vista w/ it as of this point in time, so might as well march forward into the new OS). Buy something that will give you room to grow, perhaps replacing your cpu or gpu a year down the road with better components.

If you're going to build your own, then the crew here can help you shop/spec out a set of components that will work for you. Remember it's a balancing act between cpu and graphics cards; if either of those components (or the motherboard) is a dog, you're wasting your time & $. Getting mid-line, upgradeable with both will allow for future expansion but a good experience in the here and now as well.

For a gaming rig, $600 to 1000 is tight - I just read an article in one of the many pc mags I read where the guy built a pretty solid rig for around $1400. I wouldn't even think of trying to build a system for under $1000 if you're trying to game with it (a critical point) AND if you're not going to have to completely replace it (or refurb it for lots of $ 6 to 12 months down the road). Another words, spend more now.....so you don't have to spend a whole lot more later.

Another point - you should have at least 1GB of good quality RAM, though 2GB is becoming the norm for gamers. As for SLi, I don't know much there but you might want an SLi mobo but for now just use a single card. I think Zoe is a big fan of spending more $ on a single card than a bit less on 2 mid-line cards.

Cases and optical drives are very inexpensive - your main costs will be your RAM (shoot for about $200 to $300), cpu (Core 2 Duo), motherboard (about $200), and graphics card ($200 to $300). Of course, if you're building your own, you've got to buy the OS which, if it's Vista, can run a big chunk of change.

OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball Park fast look. Found at Zipzoomfly, but I could do better with hunting.

Asus P5WDH 975X. $219 solid board.
intel e6400. $221 Good cpu. 6600 clocks better but add $100
Corsair 2x1024-6400c4. $132
BFG 7950GT. $265
Coolermaster
rc-632-ssn0-gp case. $124 I just picked one.
OCZ700GXSSLI 700WATT.$132 doin't get a wimp that way no rebuy.
Vista Premium. $124 All you need.
$1217

Replace video with
EVGA 8800GTS. $402
$1354

This took all of about 10 minute like I said I can do better on price mixing companys.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:
Ball Park fast look. Found at Zipzoomfly, but I could do better with hunting.

Asus P5WDH 975X. $219 solid board.
intel e6400. $221 Good cpu. 6600 clocks better but add $100
Corsair 2x1024-6400c4. $132
BFG 7950GT. $265
Coolermaster
rc-632-ssn0-gp case. $124 I just picked one.
OCZ700GXSSLI 700WATT.$132 doin't get a wimp that way no rebuy.
Vista Premium. $124 All you need.
$1217

Replace video with
EVGA 8800GTS. $402
$1354

This took all of about 10 minute like I said I can do better on price mixing companys.

Not bad Thumb Will you be overclocking? If so, you can get those prices down a bit more. For a budget build I'd substitute these:

CPU- E4300 Allendale Prices are a little high now (about $175) but they'll be dropping over the coming months. I'd say you could get one for about $130 in the spring.

RAM-Oldmans choice is solid. If you want 2gb that can be had for $195 after rebate. 2gb is better, but 1gb is enough if you're really trying to cut costs.

MB- Asus P5b i965 chipset(about $125). These can reach higher fsb for better overclocks on the Allendale core(lower multiplier) cpu. If you went with the E6600 then I'm with Oldman on the P5W-DH Deluxe.

GFX- I'd use a stop gap card in this case. If I had to buy now I'd get a 7900gs or 7900gt (about $125)with the intention of replacing it with a DX10 card in the future. Both of those cards will give you good performance now without breaking the bank. I'm using the 7900gs at 1920*1200 max everything in UT2k4 and it runs like butter. Newer games put a bit more strain on it of course, but they're still very playable.

Case? a case is a case when you're on a budget. I got my son an Ultra case that was free after rebate. No frills, but it's very well made. It's blue and looks like a mini server tower. You could also get a beige special from a thrift shop or something and mod/paint it. That would be a very cheap or free solution.

You'll need miscellaneous stuff also. Heatsinks, thermal compound, fans, things like that. Maybe another $100 or so.

Oh, and don't forget to include a fast flash drive so you can take advantage of ReadyBoost in Vista. You should be able to get something for about $30 after rebate. Some CF(what I'm using) and SD cards work also if you have a reader. If you have some laying around you could try them.

OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the case I got the wife and at that time free shipping.
Keep an eye on clubit they run one day killer sales, the e6600 that I got was holding at $305 a one day sale from them was $269 with free shipping bought it like now, two days later back to $315, get a paypal account and have your finger on the buy button.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA1313246
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez, how'd I forget a psu? What a knucklehead I am.

Well, so you see, if you can stretch a bit into the $1200 to 1300 range, you can really get the ball rolling. Just don't sell yourself short on a component that will shortchange the entire package - a poor mobo choice can kill the whole thing, eh?

Now, you'd better keep us apprised of this whole process - we want pictures and everything.

And if you go with a pre-made (Dell, etc) - if that is your inclination, bounce that one off the crew here and 'da boyz' will config you a sweet rig! Clap

ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attempt comes in at just about 1300 when shipping is added. All shopping was done at newegg.com which is one of my favorite places.

You can view the clickable list here:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3497771&WishListTitle=screamer

Update Rosewill R5604-TBK 0.8mm SECC Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$54.99 -$15.00 Instant $39.99

Update ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: ConRoeXFire-eSATA2
Item #: N82E16813157096
$83.99

Update XFX PVT71GUQL3 GeForce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: PVT71GUQL3
Item #: N82E16814150195
$239.99

Update OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: OCZ600GXSSLI
Item #: N82E16817341001
$129.99

Update Intel Pentium D 940 Presler 3.2GHz LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor Model BX80553940 - Retail
Model #: BX80553940
Item #: N82E16819116239

$183.00

Update OCZ S.O.E 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2SOE6672GK - Retail
Model #: OCZ2SOE6672GK
Item #: N82E16820227118
$199.99

Update Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3320620NS
Item #: N82E16822148215
$94.99

Update ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW-1612BL-BK - OEM
Model #: DRW-1612BL-BK
Item #: N82E16827135141
$33.49

Update Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium DVD - Retail
Model #: 66I-00002
Item #: N82E16832116142
$227.99

Subtotal: $1,233.42
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have issue with a couple of your parts Flex.

The Pressler cpu is kind of pricey for what you get. They don't perform as well, or overclock as well as the Conroe and Allendale cpus.

The MB looks like a poor overclocker. It looks like a good value board and may be ok for a mild overclock, but you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the Conroe. That may or may not be an issue depending on what 213 has in mind.

If 213 is going to go for a big overclock I'd go with DDR2-800 instead of 667. That way there'll be more headroom for fsb speed. That ram would be fine though for a mild overclock.

I think I would go with an upgrade or oem os instead of retail. The upgrade gives you all of the advantages of retail at a lower cost. People have had good luck getting oem activated on different hardware after installation. You'd be breaking the EULA, and future success is iffy, but that might be the way to go to save some money.

Otherwise your list looks good Thumb

ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:12 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree fully with your assessment of the limitations of overclocking the gear I chose...I however am not a fan of overclocking and I don't overclock any of my hardware. That's why you will notice that none of my parts I selected are known for being good overclockers...they are however quality parts that will remain stable and run like a champ.

Like you said though...my setup is not for someone that intends to overclock their gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: