FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

for kjartan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:59 am GMT    Post subject: for kjartan Reply with quote

hey bud, you expressed some interest in overclocking your cpu a bit. which is cool!

a few things i need to know about your setup first.

i need to know what procsessor you have. like northword, pressler, presscott
i know you said it was a pentium 4

also need to know what ram you have and what the timings are
what motherboard do you have.

and most importantly what are your temps when idle and under full load.
i know that p4's run a bit hotter than amd chips for amd you dont want to go over 50 or 55c p4's is a bit higher.

and we need to know your case or ambient temps

also your powersupply will be the biggest factor in your overclock.
a weak psu will result in instability.

and dont worry if this is done right it doesnt hurt or shorten the life of your chip. these cpu are designed to run for 10+ years and overclocking might take off a few days lol.. and who doesnt upgrade in 10 years! geesh.

get back with me on that info and we can get started!
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Groove,

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you. I had graduation this weekend and the relatives were over, etc.

Chip = Intel Pentium 4 3.6 GHz with hyper-threading

Motherboard = Intel D925X extreme series (don't remember exactly which model)

Heat Sink = Zalman 120mm all copper cooling fan

RAM = 2GB (4x512) Crucial Ballistix DDR2 DIMM @667MHz *however, motherboard is limited to 533MHz :(

Power Supply = Antec True Power 2.0 550W

Case = Antec P180 advanced super mid tower

Temps = I will have to get back to you on this, my Intel Desktop control center program hasn't been starting up for some reason, and I'm not sure how else to check my temps -- I'll try and figure it out.

Extra stuff -- don't know if you need to know these specs, but these are other heat producing components in my case:

Vid Card = ATi Radeon X850XT Professional Edition

Audio Card = Creative Audigy 2ZS Platinum

Hard Drives = Seagate Barracuda 2x400Gb 7200 RPM SATA (ie, total = 800Gb) (although I'm about to add an 80 Gb SATA hard-drive which will basically have Windows components on it. No RAID set up.

All the fans I use are by Antec and are 80mm. Aside from the heat sink and power supply fan and vid and audio card fans, I also have 3 cooling fans running, though I'm planning on getting an additional 2 (1 @ 40mm and 1 @ 80 mm) -- that'll max out my case's fan potential.

Thanks!!!

Joker
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to reinstall the Intel Desktop Utilities package, but now I've done that and checked out my "idling" temperature. As of this very moment it's hovering around 45-47 degrees Celsius. I'll update this in a bit after I've been stressing the system a bit.

Cool
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Intel board may be a problem with overclocking. I don't believe the bios supports it. There may be some software hacks that can be used, but those are a little sketchy in their application. 3.6ghz is pretty fast for a P4 as is, they'll generally overclock higher but heat becomes a real issue.

You could get a new mb, but I don't think it would be cost effective. If you have a good use for the current system elsewhere, I'd build a new one using a Conroe processor, and a good overclocking mb.

Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up Zoe.

After running Doom 3 on ultra settings my system heated up appreciably and I was even warned once that my processor zone exceeded maximum recommended temperature (about 70-75C) and motherboard zone 2 (I'm not sure what's in this zone yet) was exceeding maximum rec'd temp regularaly (about 50C). So, it looks as though I picked a good time to get my two new fans. Also, I think I'm going to have to get some more compressed air, it's been a little while since I've cleaned out my case. Antec is great for roominess and having well milled (not sharp) edges inside the case and well designed as far as air flow goes, but it seems to accumulate dust on the mobo (etc) faster than any other case I've used.

Also, should I reapply thermal goop between the chip and the heat sink? I know some brands (like Arctic Silver (I think that's the name)) are supposed to be better than the thermal compound you get with your chipset.

I'd still like to learn about overclocking, but I'm thinking caution will be my approach since it doesn't sound as if Intel is the best chipset to overclock with (and I'm already apparently having slight heat issues).

Joker
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably wouldn't hurt to reset the heatsink. Those temps seem pretty high for a stock processor. I use Arctic Silver 5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100008 It can be found cheaper, if you keep an eye out on the web. First remove the old thermal compound(I use 90% rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover works also but it sometimes has oils in it that could be problematic). After you get the cpu and heatsink cleaned and dried you're ready to reapply thermal compound.

You want to use a very small amount(a small grain of rice) then spread it very thinly across the heat spreader on the cpu(a credit card works well for this). Then apply the heatsink, give it a couple of small twists while applying moderate pressure, then clip it down.

A good guideline for fan placement is to arrange them so the air all moves in one direction. Generally this will be from front to back. The idea behind this is to eliminate turbulence and dead zones inside the case.

Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Zoe!

Thumb
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 small update. I just read a reference to some kind of burn in or test feature on Intel motherboards that'll give you a 5% overclock. It isn't much, but it beats a blank. I'll try to find more information on this, but you could look around in your bios for this option.

Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah man you need to get those temps down first , you can get everest for free here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html this will tell you pretty much everything you need to know. and get this http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

and like zoe said arrange your fans so that the air is coming in low in the front and out high in the back. if we can get your idle temps down to about 35 or 40c , then we can start ..

also need to know what cpu it is.. is it a northwood? a presscott? presler?
Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a straight up intell board? or a board with an intell chipset?
if its a intell board you cant over clock im sorry to say. and software oc'ing is sketchy at best.
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't remember precisely which chip my 3.6 GHz Intel is, but if I had to guess I would say that it was an Irwindale. The motherboard is also an Intel. This is the first computer (my 3rd computer in life Pound ) I've built from ground up. My last computer -- which was my very first desktop (ca. 2001) -- was the first on which I overcame my "fear of the black box" and learned how to do a few tweaks, so I didn't really know much about "overclocking" and so on, but I'm learning Laughing Perhaps when the time comes to build my next system I'll have accumulated enough knowledge to make such choices as will allow me to overclock, but for the nonce, it appears that's not going to be an option Crying or Very sad

My idling temps are consistently in the mid to upper 40s C, and running Doom 3 on ultra sends the temperatures to about 70C. I'm going to reset the heat sink with the thermal compound recommended by Zoe and install two more fans (keeping air flow in mind) also.

At any rate, thanks for your time and help!!!

Joker
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Everest, it's an outstanding little program chock full of information about your system. Thumb

Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:21 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent recommendation, thanks Feld!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: