FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Laser Mouse, but no Laser Mouse Pad!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:16 am GMT    Post subject: Laser Mouse, but no Laser Mouse Pad! Reply with quote

Hello, all!

The problem:

A little over a month ago (maybe close to two? How time flies!) I took the plunge and invested in a Logitech G5 laser mouse. I've been very pleased with the mouse's responsiveness (it's simply unparalleled), but my hitscan aim has gone down the toilet!

The problem abides and frustration grows:

Of course, like any new piece of equipment, it took some time to learn to use it with any skill, but my hitscan aim has never quite recovered from the switch (not that I'm anything like Hook or some others when it comes to hitscan to begin with! So, I was in double-trouble!). At first, I assumed that the mouse was "too" sensitive and have been playing with the settings more or less continually since I started using it. However, whatever settings I used, whenever I sited in on someone with, say, the LG or SR or SSR or whatever, my target cursor was prone to make "jumps" completely off target at the slightest nudge. Bad news indeed! I even thought for a while about going back to my "old" optical mouse. Then, just yesterday, it occurred to me that laser mice are SO sensitive that the laser must have been "catching" on the minor grooves of my mouse pad and when the laser would go over the peak of one of these minor ridges and end up in the trough between it and a neighboring ridge, it was then that I must have experienced the "jumping cursor" problem.

The solution (I hope!):

Last night I ordered a new mouse pad from newegg that's supposedly designed specifically for laser mice (I got a Razer eXactMat complete with wrist-rest), so, hopefully that'll fix the "jumping cursor" problem.

The moral of the story:

If you're thinking of getting a laser mouse, you should probably also think about getting a laser mouse pad (or, "mousing surface," as they call them these days Confused ) along with it. Despite the added cost, it's probably a necessary accessory.

The question:

Has anyone else who has made the move to a laser mouse experienced a similar problem? Has anyone else experienced a "jumping target cursor" with their laser mouse? Has anyone else tried out one of these laser mouse pads?

The final comment:

After I've received it and gamed with it for a while, I'll update this post thread with the results. Hopefully, no more jumping cursor, so watch out all!

See ya all and Good Gaming!

Kjartan

Joker
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuts wish I knew your problem sooner, I read in a fourm and if I remember the site about a player with just the same problem. He also stated about laser from optical problems and did not use a mouse pad. Turned out that his desk was smooth but not smooth to the Laser and after countless tries of what is going on here bought a laser pad and like day and night with his gaming. Love forums always someone that knows something just have to ask.

On a side note I thought you were just getting bad and I had a chance. Joker
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, Oldman, good point about the forums, I should've thought to ask before now!!!!

Well, we'll see how long it takes my aim to adjust after all this!!!

Kjartan

Joker
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a plain old MS optical mouse and have had issues with textured mousepads as well. Mouse jumping all over the place. Not just in games. Specifically one Dell mouse pad (from work we have a gazillion of them, i'd never buy a Dell Embarassed ) with diagonal tiny ridges in that made up the pattern on the surface. I just switched back to a plain mouse pad. I'd imagine the high DPI laser mice would be really bad on that type of pad. Good luck with the new one you're buying. I now used my textured mouse pad as a beer coaster on my wood desk Very Happy
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a MX700 for gaming, and a MX1000 for surfing and work. I use a fabric Scooby Doo mouse pad and don't have trouble with either mouse. I did get a mousepad from Microsoft that screwed with my Microsoft portable mouse. You'd think they'd at least make sure it worked with their own products Rolling Eyes
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MX500 optical. Feels good in the hand. Still can't hit a damn thing Pound

I suppose I could program the daylights out of it, but I haven't. I use my L and R clickers, center clickie and scroll wheel. Still can't hit a thing most nights but it's fun tryin' Thumb

Verchiel
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

im rollin on the MX510 and the only thing i have ever done to it is use the usbmouserateswitcher11 which only bumps your usb connection speed so its not much but i think it helps...

Server: SS Playground <-- Reg Weps/Insta Votables
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-Hoo!!! The new laser mouse pad got here today!

So, to anyone who's thinking of moving to a laser mouse, the verdict is in:
if you're going to buy a laser mouse you NEED to get a laser mouse pad.

This being the only one I've played on, I can't really "comparatively" recommend one over another, but I am pleased with the Razer eXactMat.

Oldman -- re: "On a side note I thought you were just getting bad and I had a chance" --lol -- I wish I was that good, but actually it's really back to the drawing board for my gaming all over again. The laser responds so much better on this mouse pad that now not only is my hitscan aim off, EVERYTHING is off -- movement, aim, . . . everything. That said, looks like I'll be playing with my settings from the start once again.

Verch -- Thanks for the advice!

Birch -- re: " I now used my textured mouse pad as a beer coaster" -- lmao - Guinness, I hope! asskisser

Feld -- re: " Still can't hit a thing most nights but it's fun tryin'"
hehe -- I'm in the same boat as you (but seriously, your aim isn't THAT bad! Wink )

Zoe -- re: Microsoft -- well, it IS Microsoft after all -- 'nuff said Laughing

To all: so, while I'm getting used to this new pad you're free to beat on me, hopefully any skills I once had are back up to par and then some within the next month or so!

See ya all and Good Gaming!

Kjartan

Joker
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot a man when hes down NEVER, combo his butt while he up ZOE go for it, mean while I got hammer in hand. After all we need to work on your get the hell out of the way moves. Pound
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe -- shouldn't be down for TOO long.

Get your wins in while you can Wink, this new mouse pad combined with the laser is AWESOME!!! Lot's of trouble to adapt to it but I can already tell when I get the new feel of it down my game is DEFINITELY going up a notch.

Good Gaming!

Kjartan

Joker
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:
Shoot a man when hes down NEVER, combo his butt while he up ZOE go for it, mean while I got hammer in hand. After all we need to work on your get the hell out of the way moves. Pound

Hey, that brings to mind a good question:

In the original Unreal online, if you were facing a wall or face down on the ground, you were often typing and it was understood that you DO NOT shoot the player. The switch to UT changed that, especially ut03. But my question is:

Is there a lie down/play dead command in Ut04? It was a very effective way to not get type-killed, which happens all too often in ut04.

Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't feign death in 2k3 or 2k4, but it's rumoured to be making a return for 2k7.
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Feign death

According to: http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2007/about.php

Feigning death IS coming back:

"Unreal Tournament 2007 promises a return to the "feel" of the original Unreal Tournament. While UT2004's double-jumping and dodge-jumping will remain, Epic aims to make the game more fast-paced and less "floaty". Epic stresses that the aim with UT2007 is to create a whole new - and better - game, rather than merely a prettier UT2004. In addition to this, old favorites from the original UT such as jump boots and the ability to *feign death* will return in UT2007."

Guess I'm a noob to Unreal, UT 2k4 is my first Cool .

I used to be really into the Fallout series and the Baldur's Gate series, and generally anything made by Black Isle Studios -- that is, before their management changed and the new management tried to go console ( Mad ) and subsequently bankrupted the BEST RPG developer! But that's another story . . .
achilles
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew is right ; In the original Unreal we would stand face into a corner or wall and........... you were safe. Even the beginners caught on quick. Frag a typer and there would be H3kk to pay. the whole gang would show you the correct manners.

For the most part we didnt feign death because it was so abused by some...it just got to the point where if you saw some one down....you kept a close eye on em.... chances are they were just going for a sucker frag.

Bottom line is ; I'm looking forward to UT07 and a new computer to run it.. Just like always Wink
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha that's cool. I never played the original UT so I didn't know you could play possum. So how did it work back then? Did you just press a button and your character would just lay down and then press that button again to get back up? Could you still get fragged while you were playing possum? I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of fun with that at first. Especially with the people that like to spawn kill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: