FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

What Linux Distribution do you play with / use ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:59 pm GMT    Post subject: What Linux Distribution do you play with / use ? Reply with quote

Tonight I loaded up Ubuntu Linux Distribution 5.10 on a spare 20Mb partition http://www.ubuntu.com/newsitems/release510 to play with. I have to say after my last attempt at building a Gentoo Linux build from scratch (which failed) this install came as a pleasant suprise. It includes Firefox 1.07, Open Office 2.0, and almost everything your need to do your day to day computer stuff. The Ubuntu version ships with the Gnome interface, but there is a Kubuntu project for you KDE lovers. The hardest thing you have to do on install is choose your install partion, which for me was not a problem because of a 20meg partition sitting unused. The only thing not working so far is the printer driver for my Lexmark Z52. Everything else sound/network/video/Xwindows/Mouse no problems. The package has automatic updates which is one thing about Linux i always hated , updating packages.

So if your looking for an easy Linux give it a shot. Its been a while since i tried any other distros (can you say RedHat 7.0) prior to my Gentoo attempt, so others may of improved. What Linux Distro are you guys using ?
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got Ubuntu cds coming soon I hope. Thisll be my first attempt using Linux. I have a laptop with a squirrely XP install, so when I get the discs Ill format and try Linux on it.

Tbh Im not sure what Linux has to offer over Windows on the desktop, but Id like to learn the rudiments of it so I can apply the knowledge to Linux servers, which I see a greater utility in.
BuZZ(Co30)
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running RedHat 7.3 on our Co30 backup box. Thumb OMG Clap
battlecat
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a living working with Linux distros in the commercial sector. We use primarily SuSE and RedHat, and typically the latest available versions of the enterprise server versions.

I can safely say this: Your experience with distros such as RH 7.0 shouldnt influence your opinion on Linux in gerneral. This have come a LONG, LONG way since those days.

Want to run a desktop? I highly recommend downloading the latest Novell SuSE Linux install ISO (which is version 10) and try that. I think youll be pleasantly suprised

http://www.novell.com/linux/suse/

http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/downloads/suse_linux/index.html

The YAST update utility for SuSE is very nice, and I think youll like what Novell has done with the desktop...Smilie Also, CodeWeavers running on SuSE (or any other distro) runs many of your must have windoze apps very nicely. Ive run such apps as Visio, MS Office, PhotoShop and Lotus Notes on CodeWeavers (WINE under the covers) with no issues. I even ran IE on it, just because I could..Smilie

The reason I suggest SuSE desktop over what youre using, is that its a very polished environment. It is Novell after all.

Have fun!
bc
BuZZ(Co30)
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the min reqs for running the Novel Brent? Or you gonna make me go look? hehee Bawhaha
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Slackware 10..I used to fool around with Mandrake back in the day, but my friend made me leave the user friendly distros of Linux alone so I would actually learn something about it..Ever since then Ive always played with Slackware..
Sarge(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

At home and work I use various versions of Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) *because* it is easy to install. I cant be wasting my time on a screwed install. Their tools for configuration are really good. I typically use webmin for config stuff or drop down to the command line if webmin does not support an app. If I can find an RPM for an app Im more likely to install that way but if I have to Ill grab the sources and compile it myself. None of that stuff scares me.

At home I just installed Mandriva version 2006. Its the latest of everything. The free download version has 4 CDs worth of RPM installable apps. The purchased version is on 6 CDs or 2 DVDs I think.

Ive never really run into a problem with Mandriva on an install. Even on a Dell 2800 server with the latest PREC RAID embedded controller. I had to find the PERC RAID drivers as they are not on the install CD, but then all you do is tell it you have drivers to add, it asks for the source, copies them over at the end of the install and when you reboot, viola, a working system in under 30 minutes! Then tweak till your hearts content. Wink

If youre interested Jon I can bring the latest version into work for you on DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks Sarge, ill stick with the one CD ISO Linux install for the time being. 6 CDs ack !!! Shocked Maybe after I find Ubuntu cant do what i want it to do. For starters it doesnt seem to like RPMs.... but ill tinker for a while.
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:02 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amusing visual summary of Linux distros. tehswift check out their opinion of Slackware Very Happy

http://www.livejournal.com/users/alanhorkan/3445.html#ubuntu

Last edited by birch on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:30 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
Sarge(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its true -- Mandriva is childs play with the power of "Gentoo" Wink
If the noob can figure out how to get to the command line Pound
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why do you all use Linux? I just installed Ubuntu 5.10 and my modem isn't working yet Thumb . I've read through the forums with all the problems people are having. Others posting about their big accomplishment of getting a game, or other application to run. Also some are dual booting with Windows so they can use certain applications. I don't really see the point, except using Linux as a geek toy for something to play around with.

My reason for trying it is to get experience with Linux, and applying the knowledge to server setup and maintainance. I think that's where Linux shines due to cost and security.

It may work on the desktop for grandma, who only needs to write emails, and browse the internet, but for most people I don't believe Linux is ready for primetime.

How about you guys?
Sarge(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use it? What do you think makes this web/forum site run Wink

Are you using a "winmodem"? These are tricky to get going. Full modems internal or external don't usually present any problems.

http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2005112101726RVDTMD
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't really see the point, except using Linux as a geek toy for something to play around with.

I view it as not quite ready for your average Joe either. You know, if money is tight, free is hard to beat. If you enjoy the technical challenges of Linux then it might be right for day to day desktop use. Once you get past the initial setup headaches you'll have a pretty decent stable platform to use. I actually have it loaded at home for exactly the reason you mention - a geek toy. (You calling me a geek ?) because we use it at work in many various roles, having a Linux distro at home to play with keeps me up on the command line stuff needed for work. Who wants to run out and buy MS licenses for a simple FTP box or firewall ? Don't need pretty GUIs for that stuff.

The linux command line is hard to beat for power. One little command line can do a lot that just can't be done in a Windows environment.

One thing you can do that will improve your Windows to have some of those wonderful Linux commands is to load up Cygwin. http://www.cygwin.com/

Or if you want to convert totally to the dark side, OS X for Mac is now basically a very pretty Linux distro. We have a bunch of them at work now and you need to know Linux command line to do the required work on these things.

So..for me basically to stay on top of things for work. Don't use it at home in a day a to day environment. I could, it has everything i need, but i don't Very Happy
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to further scorch yer panties:

OSX

growl, fear the kitty!!!!!

(my dual proc G5 should be rolling in next week) OMG

tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

birch wrote:
An amusing visual summary of Linux distros. tehswift check out their opinion of Salckware Very Happy

http://www.livejournal.com/users/alanhorkan/3445.html#ubuntu

lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: