FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Also looking for advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
is a Nali Poster

Location: Buffalo,NY. A drinking town with a football problem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know muchabout overclocking really, and would be too scared to do it myself, or really let anyone do it. I am not the type of person to risk even slightly burning anything, mainly due to my horrific "luck" when it comes to money. I've found that any method concievable to waste or regret spending money can and will hit me smack in the face even if not given much of an opportunity.

I'm googling up info and any reviews I can find on the parts you guys are suggesting. Justtrying to make sure I get informed and whatnot, especially on the motherboards,.. I know jack about them,.. which sucks as they are the nervous system of the entire thing. I still need to try and keep this all under $1k, whichis constantly gettingme frustrated, lol as even the rigs I piece together atsites all go over by like $100-300.

At this point I'm thinking of selling off some of my Magic:the Gathering collection. or a kid. Shocked (not really, I like my cards too much.)

Thank you guys again though for pointing so much info out and helping.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've got

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=5638707

$1139.86 after shipping and rebates. You could get this cheaper by shopping around, below $1,000 easy. This isn't a bottom end rig either. I put this together with longevity in mind. The weakest link is the gfx card. You may want to go with an 8800, but that'll cost you a couple hundred more. I used a faster cpu because you said you didn't want to overclock. I think the e4300 purchased a couple of months from now would be a better deal, but you'd need to overclock to take full advantage of it. It isn't hard, you wouldn't have to go for max speed. You could get the e4300 to 2.8ghz easy.

Edit: Here's the link that should be public viewable http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5638707 Embarassed I also forgot to include a hard drive, so add $92 shipped to my price for a 320gb Seagate.

Last edited by Zoe on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:47 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending upon your timing, just waiting 2 months could save you a few bucks. I understand and respect your $ limitation - just remember that in the end, you don't want to sell yourself short or be kicking yourself this time next year because you didn't drop another 100 bucks.

Any chance he could get a Dell or similar config for a better price?

Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked Dell after posting here and didn't see any good deals. The gfx card is the killer with Dell. All the configurations I tried ended up close to my price above when you add a decent gfx card to the system. My parts above are generally More flexible than you'd get with Dell. My cpu and memory are faster, and it can be overclocked further if that is desired in the future. Your locked into one speed with the Dell.
I'd say the only area where Dell exceeded me is in the case. Dell's cases are second to none. They're very quiet, and attractive in an understated way. They'll generally run a little hotter, but they'll be fine with what Dell puts in the box.

Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the case I got my son for xmas, except his was dark blue. The rebate is good until Feb 15, but they may come out with another one after that. They seem to always have a rebate on this case lol. The case is on the plain side, but I really like it, I would use one myself.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5124886?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: