FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Vista - u gonna bite or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vista, Yes or No?
YES
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NO
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Vista - u gonna bite or not? Reply with quote

I'm a novice on pc's but have been doing a lot of reading - all kinds of mags and reviews and I have to say, I have zero interest in upgrading to Vista. What do you folks think you'll do?

OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way to soon, have a lot of forum posts to and reviews to read. I tend to upgrade the OS when I build new rigs that way the current pc still works while I debug the new one and must say putting XP Pro was easy on this one I only hope Vista will start on a good note.
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

well get ready to buy a dx10 vid card if you go to vista . as vista wont be running dx9. and dx10 wont be backwards compatible.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove{hLk} wrote:
well get ready to buy a dx10 vid card if you go to vista . as vista wont be running dx9. and dx10 wont be backwards compatible.

I think you have that backwards. Directx 10 won't be available for XP or lower, but Vista will run all versions, and come with 10 installed.
Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was under the impression vista would only ship with dx10, but after doing some reading it will ship with dx9 as well. but it wont look like the dx10 version. and the advanced gui will utilize the full potential of dx10.

so i guess you will have two choices for vista one with dx9 and dx10.
but if you get dx9 and keep your dx9 card dont expect to play dx10 games .

linux here i come.
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard that Microshaft wants to pull support on XP by the end of 2008, so we all have to switch to something.

tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

good ol Microsoft..they keep making it harder and harder for the average joe. Pretty soon we're going to have to purchase supercomputers to run Windows effectively.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

tehswift(Co30) wrote:
good ol Microsoft..they keep making it harder and harder for the average joe. Pretty soon we're going to have to purchase supercomputers to run Windows effectively.

That's the way it was with my first IBM compatible computer (486dx50). Windows 3.1 ran like a dog. I used DOS in preference to Windows. I had a shareware program that put buttons on your desktop to launch programs, otherwise I used DOS for everything.
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe wrote:
tehswift(Co30) wrote:

That's the way it was with my first IBM compatible computer (486dx50). Windows 3.1 ran like a dog. I used DOS in preference to Windows. I had a shareware program that put buttons on your desktop to launch programs, otherwise I used DOS for everything.

I remember those days. I had an old Packard Bell (I think that's what it was) that ran DOS. My uncle had created a batch program that gave me a little menu to my games or word processing stuff. Had an old monitor that was black and orange. Never had any problems with it. I was never really to interested in trying to upgrade it to Windows 3.1 though. Just waited until faster computers came out until I did that (or coaxed my mom into it anyway.)
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sad thing is, almost all of the features of Vista can now be had via XP if you add in a few additional programs (like Firefox, Widgets, and a desktop search engine) OR if you buy a Mac. A lot of folks were hoping that this would be an entirely new build from the ground up, inherently more stable. Whether that will come to fruition, only time will tell. There are some very good features in Vista (security settings, a proggie to avoid having one program crash not take down the whole pc, some others to help the system run cooler and more stable).

Of course, the pc makers have to be LOVING the requirements to run Vista, particularly Aero Glass - it just means they'll be selling more and more expensive rigs to power the OS. Seems to be a win-win for everyone except the consumer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: