FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

UT3 - (Co30):House of Crusty
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:22 am GMT    Post subject: UT3 - (Co30):House of Crusty Reply with quote

Not many of us actually have the game yet, but I put up a temporary (maybe not so temporary) dedicated server. Currently 10 slots.

(Co30):House of Crusty

It currently is DM only, with mapvote (that may or may not work). It isn't showing up in the "pure" list because, like our other server we have a chat filter. Stats are currently enabled - anyone know where this info shows up ? It will also be prone to down time as I'm tinkering with it loading and unloading patches.

It appears the dedicated server also has limited maps ... argh what a "pos". Can someone post the DM map list that ships with the full product ? These are what came with the dedicated server download. Missing DM-Hardcore and what else ?

"DM-Arsenal" "DM-Biohazard" "DM-CarbonFire" "DM-Deck" "DM-Defiance" "DM-Deimos" "DM-Diesel" "DM-Fearless" "DM-Gateway" "DM-HeatRay" "DM-RisingSun" "DM-Sanctuary" "DM-Sentinel" "DM-ShangriLa"

If you run into issues or bugs on the server just drop a note here.

Have fun,
b][rch(Co30)
achilles
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come out of hiding . I promise I wont frag you. Really.

( seems nobodys on it and sometimes even when its up I cant always get in.)

Not really sure what I think of it so far. Its really odd to have detail levels so high and yet the color seems washed out. The bio is stronger and hangs around longer. Combo seems to be less of a threat. I love the grenades for the rocket.

The user interface and all the menu's SUCK badly;imho. Its not any ways as versatile or user friendly as Ut04
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Achilles how's things ?

Currently building up a new rig so I can play at a non blurry resolution. Still on an AMD XP2400+ AGP board ATI9800pro, quite sad really. But hey it was good for UT2K4. Can't play many of the new games at all. I hope to be built up and online by the Christmas holiday season.

The dedicated server ... what a load of crap Epic released. No one could connect as it's behind a NAT, until it updated to the Beta patch 101, Beta patch 102 dropped the server out of the list. Back to 101. The file structure is completely alien to me. Cooked this and that .... Not sure unpatched clients can connect to it right now. No web admin ... it's a mess. The server mail list has the GSP (game service providers) indicating clients canceling servers, moving on to games like COD4 or Crysis. UT3 is dying out of the gate.

And you're right no one is on the server, only 3-4 Co30's have the game right now. Couple of other regulars popped in the other day. It'll be a slow uptake by the looks of it.

Last edited by birch on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:03 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achilles buddy Zoe, Hawken and I have it do come in Zoe has named his Shock balls and I am sure he penciled in your name on one. Rolling Eyes
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sure to look for you now Oldman. ( especially if your comp is draggin a tad )

Zoe on the other hand...... Run .. Run .. run.

Rofl Played with Cain on the server today, that bot is so dumb he made me look good.

So what does everyone think of it so UT3 so far.

I've been busy playing COD4. ( Love it ) Bio-shock :Which I think is my all time favorite game
Crysis Sure is pretty; to bad they forgot to build a game underneath it.

And yes I upgraded > q6600, Asus Strike extreme mobo Asus 8800 GTS with 640meg mem and Crucial ballistics mem. Dual booting XP2 and vista Ultimate.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achilles!! It's great to hear from ya man, it's been way too long Very Happy

I just got the game installed Friday, and I've been trying to get some settings tweaked. I was getting some hideous stutters that made the game all but unplayable. I found that if I Alt-Tab out of the game, set the core affinity to 1 core in Task Manager, then go back in the game, the stutters are greatly reduced. I still get minor hitches, but I can deal with them.

Here's some random thoughts on the game. There's way too many to get into them all though LoL.

----------------------------------Graphics--------------------------------------------

I've never been so conflicted on game gfx before in my life. They look both good and bad depending on what portion your looking at. They have that ridiculous blur on a bunch of maps that makes your monitor look like it has a dirty screen. With that blur though, you get a nice glow on things like the shock cores and health vials. Ok, so that kind of sucks. We'll just go into the .ini and turn off depthoffield. Ah, sweet, the maps look 100% better, no stupid grainy blur...But now the shock cores don't have that nice glow anymore. Also the maps lose a little something. I'm not sure what it is, but they lose a bit of richness with depthoffield off.

There's also some weird aliasing going on in the maps. I never play with AA on, and everything has always looked pretty good to me. In UT3 it seems like there's some major jaggies appearing, but it'll still looks sort of good. It's like the basic geometry is heavily aliased, but the textures are still sharp :^/ It gives the levels a strange disruptive feel.

------------------------------Game Play-------------------------------------------

I'm a hardcore 2Kxer. I never liked the gameplay of GOTY as well as the 2Kx series. I thought the advanced acrobatics is what set UT2Kx apart from Quake. I can live with it, but I much prefer the movement of the previous game.

----------------------------Level Design------------------------------------------

I love the new Deck...and... um, I love the new Deck? Theres a couple of maps I hate, and a few I'm ambivalent about, but Deck's the only one I truly enjoy. The mappers will fix that, but I think Epic could have done a better job.

---------------------------Weapons------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty happy with most of the weapons. The enforcer's a pos starter weapon though. I've heard people whining on the forums for years now to bring back the enforcer. Well it's back, and it's almost 100% useless. At least with the Assault rifle you had some grenades that you could actually get a frag with. Now you basically have the assault rifle sans grenades. You might as well start with a vase of flowers to throw at people Razz

The hammer's very satisfying to use, but I prefer the shieldgun. There have been some valid complaints that the having the shieldgun in game makes combat too defensive in nature. I somewhat agree, but I would have fixed that by giving a shorter useful time the shieldgun would operate. I would have halved the operating time of the shield, but boosted the refresh rate slightly. That way you could protect yourself from fall damage, and gotten out of a sticky combat situation, but not so long that you can run from one end of the map to the other with the shield out.

The flak secondary is borked. I have to make a conscious effort to aim at the floor to frag someone who's close. That's ridiculous, and I don't know how Epic could have play tested the game and found secondary fine.

Sniper, and shock I have a hard time aiming with. It might be because I'm not used to the game, but I just can't aim well with hitscan weapons. Hopefully I'll get used to the game, and be back on track shortly.

WTH!!! no customizable xhairs!?!? Sigh... Yet another feature they forgot to put in the game...

---------------------------UI--------------------------------------------------------

Dude, this whole thing's a disaster. There's absolutely nothing good about it. It's ugly, and has almost no configurable options. A command line would be better than the UI Rolling Eyes From game options, to server browser. It's all garbage.

----------------------------Characters---------------------------------------------

It's hard to tell one from the other in game. They're all rather bland, and turn into a blurry mess in game. As soon as I saw Akasha in the demo, I knew that was the avatar I wanted. Well on some servers, I get reset to one of the dudes, stupid taunts and all. Taunts? oh yea, we won't let you pick them. You can just push buttons like a monkey and we'll pick a nice taunt for you Mad That was the one thing I was looking forward to in the game, and they screwed me. After playing the demo, I didn't really like much about it, but I consoled myself with the knowledge that I could get a shiny new avatar to customize taunts and appearance for.... Yea, so much for that....

--------------------------------Misc-------------------------------------------------

At the end of the game, I'd rather not look at a F'n red screen. I want to see the winner, and be able to chat on screen. Not use some asinine chat menu, which near as I can tell is what you have to use if you miss some chat in game. Menu out of the match, find your way to the chat menu, and find out what was said there. I might as well pull out a pen and paper, write that I want you to repeat what you said, and mail the damned thing.

It's pretty obvious that this is a console game. I guess the console noobs will be happy that they finally have a decent fps to play. Anybody who's played the real UT will know better though....

Edit:

So what do you think? Laughing

Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe, I wonder why you get stuttering.. It runs very smooth for me on high settings 1280x1024. Are you still running the 7900GS? If so there is a tweak in the ini for the 7 series cards. If you go here in your ini

And I dont see how setting it to one core can help. I read that this game is optimized for multicore cpu's?

[Engine.ISVHacks]
bInitializeShadersOnDemand=False
DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True
UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=False

And I also found that turning these on in the ini gave me a few more frames.
CompositeDynamicLights=True
OneFrameThreadLag=True

Also make sure you are using the 169.09 drivers.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1781
They are the best for this game that i have tested with so far. They are beta's but very good.

And do you have your fps uncapped?

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=False will uncap the fps.

another thing in your player settings set the connection speed to lan and take off dynamic net speed.
And try turning off AF in your nvidia control panel. At high settings in the game it uses 16xsAF which can bog ya down pretty good.

All in all this is not a bad game.. I am an old school unrealer so the movement and weapons are right up my ally. I always thought the movement in 2k4 was pretty weird and over exaggerated, but fun to play none the less

I love the shock rifle in this game, its really close to the Unreal 1 asmd I took to it almost immediately. I do think the rockets have way to much splash damage and yes the flak cannon takes a bit of adjustment.

They really need to get on the ball with a new patch.. And get the server problems sorted out, or they are going to kill this game quick.
achilles
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Groove!

Zoe> Wow! you hit the nali on the head ( sry old Unreal pun) with that review.

Groove is also right about the ASMD. Feel so much like old Unreal, the speed of the initial blast and when to combo are so different from 04 that I thought it was fubar'd at first.

The enforcer reeks but duals are nice.
I always liked the rocket grenades these are no exception.

Not sure what is up with the mini. Seems others can wipe me out instantly with no amp. Myself > either my ping kills the mini or... ???? Something because it sure doesnt work.

The graphics. No stuttering but the subdued colors opposite the blurry look to some levels just ruin it for me. ( Of course I loved the psychedelic era and really miss paisley print shirts )

Which get me to the single biggest problem> THE USER INTERFACE SUCKS!!!! ITS BEYOND FOUL! IT IS AWKWARD MIND LESS CONSOLE GEARED GARBAGE AND EPIC DESERVE A GOOD SLAP WITH A SHOCK RIFLE > SOMEONE REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THIS ONE!
In all the iterations of Unreal none have even been close to this bad.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried all of the standard tweaks without success. I played the demo with a 7900GS, and I'm playing retail with an 8800GT. My frames are great when they're great. I'm usually pegged at 60fps online. The problem is it's using 85%-95% of both cores when I'm in a map, and it jumps to 100% on both cores when another player appears. That doesn't leave any processing power for anything else, so it starts to hitch. I think it's a compatibility problem with Vista(I'm running Vista64), although I didn't have that issue with Bioshock. My workaround is easier than dual booting, but I hope Epic fixes it in a patch because it's still a pita.

I could live with the game play changes if things weren't flat out missing or broken. I had a nice run with UT2k4, and if this makes the 99ers happy then I could deal with it as long as everything else was right. Hell, just fixing my avatar, and letting me bind taunts would make me mostly happy. I'm not writing it off, but Epic needs to get their ass in gear with the patches before UT3 dies on the vine.

Btw, Bioshock is a great game. I would consider the game play average to slightly above average, but the setting rocks. I love the retro art deco architechture, and the old tunes and stuff that are playing on the juke boxes and things. It's a huge artistic achievement, and just wandering through the levels is a great pleasure. I would put it in my top 5 favorite games. The biggest drawback is the Securom DRM. I had a little run around with that crap, and I'm not too happy about it. They need to take a page from Epic's copy protection. For all the bad things I've said about UT3, they got the copy protection right.

achilles
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL> I love Bio-shock so much I've restarted it,this time playing through with Vista. The new patch includes some new plasmids which I havent seen yet ( the patch came out yesterday; Dec 4th )

Seems odd Zoe that your Cpu useage would be that high on a dual core. Is that online play or bots? As if I need to ask that one , Joker

I have mine set up dual boot. Cant see a huge difference between the XP or Vista as far a FPS .
Another annoyance I have is that my choices have to be re- entered every time. Mouse sensitivity and Server Filters dont seem to stay put.

Especially with vista. Mouse just wont keep the bindings in UT. All other games stay in place.
Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pegged at 60? Man I get upwards of 170+ fps depending on what map it is.. and that is on high settings. Are you sure you uncapped your fps? and have vertical sync off in your nvidia control panel? That seems odd... You have a better cpu than I do but we have the same cards..
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't uncap my fps. My monitor's refresh rate is 60hz, so getting any more than that won't do much for me.

birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there JZ - i'm sure someone will come out with a UT2004 movement style mod.

Now if Epic would just fix server redirection and compression and the gui.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

birch wrote:
Hang in there JZ - i'm sure someone will come out with a UT2004 movement style mod.

Now if Epic would just fix server redirection and compression and the gui.

Tbh, that's the least of my problems with the game. I'm not even sure I'd like a mut like that. The maps aren't appropriately scaled for that kind of movement. It'd be like bouncing a Super Ball in a bathroom LoL. Like I said, I had a good time with the 2Kx series while the 99ers were bitching. I guess it's my turn to bitch now. If I could fix only 5 things from a players perspective, here's my list...

Swap in the UT2k4 gui and menu. I guess that's kind of cheating since that covers about 50 problems at once Razz but my penalty would be the mis-matched color, and design scheme Wink

Fix flak secondary. I've played tons of games over the years where you have to lob some kind of projectile. I've never had a game that was this counter intuitive on where to aim for a hit.

Fix my avatar, and let me bind my taunts. I also want more than the 3 taunts Akasha apparently comes with. I'm tired of being reset to the default retard in some maps. I immediately get pissed when that happens. Awe smack!! Rolling Eyes

I want a patch that prevents the game from hammering both of my cores. There's no reason a game needs 100% of 2 cores that are running at 3ghz+

Make lightning strike from the roof, and deduct 5 points from anyone who says F' Yea! No, wait a minute... Razz Hmm, I get 1 more choice... I need a good one, so many to choose from.... Gfx?, guns?...Does the server browser come with my UT2K4 gui swap? I know, I want the end game to work the same as UT2K4. I don't want to go to a red screen, or anything stupid like that. I want to look at the winner, and talk to other players without using a chat menu.

If I got all of that, I would be happy enough with the game.

Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey birch I think they did fix the redirect and compression.. We have some custom maps running on our server already since the new patch came out and it downloads pretty fast.. and you can still see the server in the list!

Zoe .. that has to be a vista problem.. In xp the game only uses 550mb of my memory and 50 to 60% of my cpu. I know its a pain in the butt.. Have you considered dual booting xp/vista?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> UT3 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: