FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

consoles ??????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLACK>SUNSHINE
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:51 pm GMT    Post subject: consoles ?????? Reply with quote

Haven't noticed alot of activity here lately,so I wanted to throw a couple of questions out there.
I've always followed the"Unreal" franchise, so I was realy psyched about the latested installment. I've heard some negative feed back from a few folks here. What is the official "Crusty concensus" ? Probably to early to tell. I've found myself in a position where I cannot afford the upgrades at this time. I'm playin ut2004 with modest specs at best. Having 3 Girls at home, I have fought the urge to buy a console. Partly because I felt they didnt' fit into what I found fun about PC gaming, and I did not want to scar their fragile little minds. After researching the "Play Station 3", I think I'm ready to drink the" console Koolaid" and try UT3 there.
I figure if It blows..... no big loss they'll get some fun with the system, and I'll wait for upgrade funding latter. Is console gaming more of a level playing field on line? I mean I have no issue with getting beat due to my lack of skill, but lack of tech does kick your butt kicked in the PC world.
Do people over Thirty- five play consoles? After a couple of years of playing here and reading the forums, I've come to respect the opinions and players here, so I figured somebody might have some thoughts on the console thing. Thanks

Rolling Eyes
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa another floridian! I am down in Sebring Thumb

I have the demo for u3 and i love it.. Its old school to the bone and nothing like 2k4. My clan is making a big move to it, we already have 2 servers running team and vctf. I am not sure how this game translates to a console tho.. But for pc it is awsome.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

UT3's still too new for a consensus yet. I like the 2kx play style better than the GOTY style, so the demo lost points there with me. It was also released way too early imo, and needed a good bit of polishing. My pre-order is en-route, so I'll have a better impression when it gets here. I'll be withholding final judgment until after it's patched.

As to the console question... I'm not a big fan of consoles, particularly the high dollar units that want to be PCs. I think Nintendo has the right idea with the Wii. A relatively cheap system, with games that you don't have to be a hardcore gamer to enjoy. With the online aspect of consoles, the impression I get is that the maturity level isn't there with the players. You have that with PCs also of course, but I think it may be worse with the consoles. The choice is yours of course, but If I quit PC gaming, I'll be quitting gaming.

From what I've read around UT3 scales pretty well with old hardware. You could build a new system without dropping a ton of money. You may not be able to run a max settings, but it should be very playable.

Here's my take on consoles:

Plus'
Everybody has the same equipment. It's a level playing field as far as core hardware goes.

Games usually work out of the box. Since devs know exactly what hardware the game will be played on, you shouldn't have to fool with incompatibilities.

You won't have to upgrade equipment to play the latest game. It's a fixed system. If it's made for the unit it'll work.

Cons

You can't upgrade equipment for the latest game Razz Next years games will look the same as this years games. You have to wait for a new console to get improvements.

User made mods. There will be some for the PS3 and Xbox, but they'll be far fewer than what's made for the PC.

A younger audience. more immaturity online, players aren't as committed to a particular franchise.

Limited use. A PC can be used for almost anything you can imagine, work or play. Consoles are limited to playing music, movies, and games (at least without extensive hacking)

Hardware vulnerability. If something breaks in a console, in most cases the whole thing is bricked until you get a complete replacement. If something goes wrong in a PC you can replace the component in a single day.

Final thoughts

How old are your girls? If they are fairly young a PS3 or Xbox may not be right for them. I honestly don't know, but those systems cater to older(hardcore) gamers, so there may not be much in the way of games your girls would like. You'll have to check that out though.

If you gave us a budget we may be able to help you build an inexpensive machine. The old computer could go to the kids with a bunch of inexpensive games on it that they might enjoy playing. You can use an emulator to run old Sega and Nintendo games. The gfx aren't what they are now of course, but the gameplay is still solid. I still like to play Sonic on occasion Clap

Buttfield{Co30}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wii. It doesn't have the awesome graphics of the PS3 or X360. It can't play HD-DVD movies. It's a LOT of fun though. Definitely for younger players or people who prefer silly games. I like silly. Thumb
BLACK>SUNSHINE
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Zoe, it kinda reinforces my gut feeling on the thing.I'll probably will be hiting you guys up for info on building a Rig, after the Holidays. Thanks again.
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps3 Pound

Baaaaaaadd ps3!! Just say no. D.A.R.E. to stay off ps3.

I am not a fanboi. I just had the pleasure of playing all three consoles over the holiday at my sisters (wii, 360, ps3) and I can say without a doubt, NO PS3.

It had framerate issues on Guitar Hero 3. Mind you... this game isn't really all that demanding. It doesn't have "auto-res" detection, so you have to know all the resolutions that your tv supports. And now Valve's "Orange Box" is "basically unplayable" - although admittedly this is not due to the hardware (it's due to EA that did the ps3 port for Valve). It's network is semi laggy (played COD4 and Warhawk) and definitely not anywhere close to being as easy to use as xbox live, or as pretty for that matter.

I say 360 simply because it has GAMES. SO MANY SWEET GAMES. SO MANY SWEET GAMES THAT RUN REALLY REALLY WELL. Easy to buddy people. Easy to invite buddies to game with you. Easy to browse through demos and other downloads.

The wii - meh, i have yet to find a game I would play non-stop on that system. And if the 360 and ps3 are called as "equal" for hardware - the 360 still has far more games including some exclusives that are really worth the decision (Bioshock, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Halo).

And oh yeah - don't even think of getting the 360 or ps3 without a HDTV. It's night and day and honestly you can't read half the text of the games out there without one.

EDIT: Oh gawd, the horror I forgot to mention. UPDATES. Holy crap, anyone with a ps3 knows what I'm about to say. We had to do a system update which took about 30 minutes, and then each game itself had an update which took about 15 minutes... no choice about the updates - every single one had to be done before we could play. No option to "get it later". Updates on the 360? Take about a minute.

Now think about that for a minute.
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBBut!!! all the cool kids are doin it!!!!! J/K

Once again.. prudent advice thanks I'll just say no.
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine it's so funny that i have to tell you this - you're one of the first people I ever buddied since I've been in NY for the past 3 years. I'm pretty sure it was on Co30's server because even when I lived in LA i liked playing on this server. I remember you were just a really cool player and pretty good.

Glad to see you're here on the forums! Cool
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we have a ps2 for our kids - 10 year old son, 13 year old daughter - and while it's mostly his system, she does enjoy Guitar Hero and we just bought them that Singstar game for Hannukah, mostly for her and her friends. The ps2 still holds up very well for a console and the fact that the new ps3 is not backward compatible just totally blows - what a sh-t move on the part of Sony. We may get a Wii in the springtime as it's all the rage around here and they can't keep em in stock but the kids love em. PS3? Too much $$$. Xbox360? Do they last more than 3 months or are they still getting that 'ring of death' due to overheating issues? I've heard the 360 has a great array of games, just don't know if I trust something from MicroShaft. I play some games - racing primarily - with my son on his ps2. Another advantage - there are hundreds of great games still out there for ps2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: