FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

With a little help from my friends.. Umm , past friends....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adster76
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:07 am GMT    Post subject: With a little help from my friends.. Umm , past friends.... Reply with quote

Hi strangers.. For those of you who remember me (Aussie with really bad ping and once CO30 member).. You know by now that i pop back and forth on here to say hi then do a magical dissapearing act supposedly never to be heard from again.. Well this time i come with an actual information collecting purpose! Being that the members i still know are all people i keep in very high regard, i would like to ask your opinions.. FINALLY i will be heading to the US and Canada in the next few months and will be spending (hopefully) a couple of months in your fair country and would like to ask your opinions on where i should and shouldn't go.. I will be landing in San Fran and working my way toward Canada before departing to Europe.. So please, any recommendations will be appreciated.. I hope all are well and even though i say it every time i surface again.. It's so nice to see alot of familiar names still playing.. Smilie

Take Care All

Adam (Now Actually 30!)
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam!

I will pass your email on through the clan mail so the gang can reply.

As to where you should go:

If I could recommend some cool places and thoroughly ignoring the cost of your trip (btw, some of this would depend upon what time of year you visit):

Washington DC - very interesting memorials, museums, White House, etc.
New York City - go see Times Square, perhaps catch a broadway show, museums, amazing food and shopping,
Grand Canyon - self-explanatory
Niagra Falls - never been there, supposed to be pretty cool
Boothbay Harbor Maine - sit and eat lobster right on the wharf as it's brought in fresh each day
Florida - Everglades National Park, DisneyWorld, MGM Studios, SeaWorld
Carlsbad Caverns New Mexico
Boston, Massachusetts - lots of history, food, and shopping
Inner Harbor, Baltimore Maryland - national aquarium, food/shopping, Fort McHenry nearby (that's where the American lawyer Francis Scott Key was inspired to write our national anthem during the War of 1812)
Philadelphia PA - if you're into American history, a few historic sites, great food and shopping (I'm not far from Philly)
One of the Six Flags Theme Parks (if you like roller coasters)
Las Vegas Nevada - gambling, nightlife, etc.
Alaska - take an Alaskan cruise, some beautiful sights to see
I don't know the situation in New Orleans now, but the French Quarter was not badly damaged by Katrina, might be cool to sit in a jazz club and here some fine jazz played by the folks that make it 'real'

Depending upon sports that you like, it would be cool to catch a professional football, baseball, or basketball game; if you like car racing, check out a NASCAR race; if you like hunting or fishing, there are places all over the US that would be great

might I also recommend this:

http://www.unitedstatestouristattractions.com/

and

http://www.seeamerica.org/

btw, though not a Canadian, I can highly recommend the beautiful city of Old Quebec - one of the most charming places I've ever been to

feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Adam,

Someone named Ephi (Co30) wants your email addy! Send it to me PM, eh?

birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co30 Canadian here. I recently visited Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon and would say they're worth a visit. Las Vegas just because it's nuts .. America gone crazy, it's like some 24hr carnival, and the Grand Canyon is the nearby spectacular opposite of Las Vegas. Hoover Dam is in that vicinity too. Washington DC in the "Mall" area is great for Museums etc. Worth a visit. Pick a Disney World East or West Coast - fun, but not if you're traveling alone.

Canada - West Coast Vancouver, Victoria or Banff. Skip the middle of the country, head East. Niagara Falls area, Ottawa the Capital - Historical, Quebec City/Montreal same. http://www.quebecweb.com/TOURISME/introang.html East Coast is very nice but a long trip. St. John's NF or Halifax NS, Cape Cod etc. Lots of great place to visit. http://www.canadaeastcoast.com
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what your into, but here in Michigan, Mackinac Island is a pretty popular tourist destination. It's kind of tourist trappy, but the island is kind of lost in time, so to speak, in that there are no cars allowed on the island so it's all horse and buggy or bicycle travel. It's also right next to Mackinaw Bridge , which was the worlds longest suspension bridge for quite some time. The area is famous for its fudge. It's located in the Straights of Mackinaw between Lake Michigan and Huron.
Adster76
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldrewCo30 wrote:
Yo Adam,

Someone named Ephi (Co30) wants your email addy! Send it to me PM, eh?

Thanks mate,

She managed to get in touch with me already Very Happy

Also thanks for the Guide to the US.. Given me plenty of ideas and a good way to fill a bit of travel time.. I have 90 days before they kick me out unless i apply for an actual Visa so i'm sure i can see a fair amount in that time if i plan it well.. Or just bail to Mexico Smilie
Adster76
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Teabags wrote:
I'm not sure what your into, but here in Michigan, Mackinac Island is a pretty popular tourist destination. It's kind of tourist trappy, but the island is kind of lost in time, so to speak, in that there are no cars allowed on the island so it's all horse and buggy or bicycle travel. It's also right next to Mackinaw Bridge , which was the worlds longest suspension bridge for quite some time. The area is famous for its fudge. It's located in the Straights of Mackinaw between Lake Michigan and Huron.

That actually sounds really nice and worth a visit! Not 100% sure what Fudge is but i'm sure it's worth a shot.. Probably something that we have here just with a different name.. Smilie

To be honest Michigan never really came to mind.. So i've already benefitted from my message!

Thankyou kindly!!
Adster76
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

birch wrote:
Co30 Canadian here. I recently visited Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon and would say they're worth a visit. Las Vegas just because it's nuts .. America gone crazy, it's like some 24hr carnival, and the Grand Canyon is the nearby spectacular opposite of Las Vegas. Hoover Dam is in that vicinity too. Washington DC in the "Mall" area is great for Museums etc. Worth a visit. Pick a Disney World East or West Coast - fun, but not if you're traveling alone.

Canada - West Coast Vancouver, Victoria or Banff. Skip the middle of the country, head East. Niagara Falls area, Ottawa the Capital - Historical, Quebec City/Montreal same. http://www.quebecweb.com/TOURISME/introang.html East Coast is very nice but a long trip. St. John's NF or Halifax NS, Cape Cod etc. Lots of great place to visit. http://www.canadaeastcoast.com

If i can manage to get in touch with Buzz before i head off then i know where i'll be heading in Canada.. Always said that if i made it over there that i would come and help him shovel snow off his driveway.. Have to say that Canada will be a big part of my trip. From what i've seen it is so beautiful there that i'd be stupid not to include it on my trip.. Time permitting of course and money as well.. I have no way of getting a work Visa in the US but as yet haven't looked at the standards in Canada.. Guess it depends on how much they like Aussies Smilie

I really appreciate the help everyone is giving me.. Who better to ask than the people that live there!

Thanks Thumb
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adster76 wrote:
Captain_Teabags wrote:

That actually sounds really nice and worth a visit! Not 100% sure what Fudge is but i'm sure it's worth a shot.. Probably something that we have here just with a different name.. Smilie

To be honest Michigan never really came to mind.. So i've already benefitted from my message!

Thankyou kindly!!

mmm...fudge....*drool*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudge

There's some information on Fudge. It's so sweet it'll rot your teeth out Smilie
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that Lake Michigan has very nice sandy beaches. like going to the ocean, but its fresh water and there's nothing poisonous to step on Thumb and nothing that will come up and take a bite out of you.

Here's a link to some fudge maker's (my favorites).
http://www.marshallsfudge.com/
http://mackinac.murdicks.com/
http://www.joannsfudge.com/
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you'd better check into travel rules between Canada and the US, which have changed a bit over the past few years.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldrewCo30 wrote:
Also, you'd better check into travel rules between Canada and the US, which have changed a bit over the past few years.

Yeah, I heard that the Mackenzie brothers were planning a terrorist invasion of the Anheizer-Bush Brewery in a plot to build the worlds largest beer bong. Laughing So you can imagine security is a little tighter than normal.
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey they're invading this weekend eh !!! This weekend is Bob and Doug's 24th anniversary special on CBC celebrating 24 years of the "2""4" eh !!

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/index.jsp?program=Bob+%26+Doug+McKenzie%27s+Two-Four+Anniversary

Hoser !!!
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ROFL Joker
BuZZ(Co30)
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooooooooo, ya gonna update us with the trip plans or keep us all in the dark????? eh eh eh? Bawhaha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: