FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Beer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Beer? Reply with quote

Here is a question for you, What is your favorite beer? Mine changes from time to time, right now it's Guinness. Things have been pretty dead here on the co30 forums so I figured this topic should get people talking Smilie .
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I no longer drink. Way back left bar drove 22 miles only remember standing in front of garage door not the drive home, End of story, Coffee my drink.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:
Why I no longer drink. Way back left bar drove 22 miles only remember standing in front of garage door not the drive home, End of story, Coffee my drink.

Good Choice! I have never been much of a drinker. I only have one or 2 from time to time.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd have to say Guinness. That's my go to beer, but the bottled extra stout isn't as good as it used to be. It's brewed in Canada by Labatts now, and it's lighter bodied and not as flavorful as the older Irish brewed product.

For draught beer I pretty much like all of the stouts. The best though was a rogue(I assume) batch of Murphys from almost 20 years ago. A pub near me carried it, and it had a hint of burnt currants on the palate. Delicious Thumb I haven't noticed that in quite awhile though, I wish it would go back to that flavor profile.

What I prefer more than beer though is scotch, and Irish whiskey. Straight up, no water or ice. There's tons I've had, but here's a list of some my favorites. Subject to change depending on mood Wink
Irish Whiskey
Black Bush
Red Breast

Single Malt Scotch
Highland Park
Laphroaig
Macallan
Dalmore
Talisker
Lagavulin
Aberlour A'bunadh

Blended Scotch
Famous Grouse
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Chivas Regal
Dewars

feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer
Bass Ale (all time favorite)
Sam Adams
Guiness
Black n Tan
Heineken
Molson
Dos Equis (when eating Mexican food) w/ lime

(I can't stand American piss beer - Bud, Miller, Coors, Rolling Rock - dear god, my dad used to drink Pabst Blue Ribon and Schmidts)

Scotch (it's all Zoe's fault!)

The Macallan
Black Bush
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Chivas

I'm staying away from beer lately due to calories, so I usually only have it when we're out to dinner. I'll have a glass of Scotch maybe once or twice a week, usually when I'm playing ut04

And I do enjoy an occasional glass of Shiraz, Merlot, or Cabernet Sauvignon, preferably the Australian red dry wines are nice.

On a daily basis? water, Gatorade, and orange juice - from time to time a good ginger ale or seltzer

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldrewCo30 wrote:
Beer(I can't stand American piss beer - Bud, Miller, Coors, Rolling Rock - dear god, my dad used to drink Pabst Blue Ribon and Schmidts)

My grandpa drinks Pabst blue ribbon to this day Smilie . That stuff gives me a headache. I used to drink Leinenkugels Creamy Dark most of the time before I discovered Guinness. I also enjoy a nice Diet Squirt with a little spiced rum.
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite beer is Delirium Nocturnum. It's a Belgian Brown Ale that has a somewhat fruity taste to it. It's a strong beer though, so you can't just throw it back or you'll end up sick pretty quickly. What I order off the tap is Blue Moon Belgian White. I'm more of a fan of the lighter tasting beers. I've never been able to stomach a Guiness. The taste is too weird for me, reminds me of rust. I'll drink Heineken every now and again as well, mainly because that's what most of my asian friends drink.
elc
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big beer guy now, don't like the feeling of getting full when I have a drink, but when I was younger went through a few phases. Generally the phase ended the first time I got sick on it Smilie

Black Label
Molson Ex
Canadian
Amsterdam Nut Brown
Corona

(there were more, I cant seem to remember for some reason)

Now I prefer the lighter stuff, someone got me a case of a Brazilian beer called Brahma recently, I really like it, goes down easy.

The serious beer guys think all my choices suck, but I'm not a serious beer guy so that's ok Smilie

I now prefer my scotch (especially Laphroaig, a really smokey Islay malt), and my Absinth (Hills, also not well thought of by the experts, but I love it and it's the only readily available one around here that contains decent amounts of wormwood (the hallucinogenic herb that makes Absinthe fun)).
Sarge(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer me not. I pretty much stick to wine (red, which I make myself) and spirits. I enjoy Cognac of various types. B&B and Navan to name two favorites.
Sarge
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm much less informed than some others here, but here's a brief list:
Basically, for the last couple of years, I've really only had two favorite beers:
(1) Guinness
(2) Newcastle

Unless I'm eating Mexican food, in which case the best beer to accompany it (IMO) is Negra Modello.

Semi-similar circumstances to the OM here. I used to drink quite a bit when I was in high school and then started to do likewise my first year of college, but then a good friend of mine, who told me I was in danger of becoming an alcoholic, challenged me to take 6 months off of drinking -- I said "no problem" and didn't drink at all for 6 months. Ever since then I've never really gotten back into drinking except maybe a beer with a meal or on the weekend -- probably no more than a beer or two every couple months these days . . . I'm not against drinking at all (I enjoy a good Scotch after a good meal a couple of times a year), just don't see much of a need for it unless I'm enjoying it with something else these days.

I enjoyed coffee for a while, but since I've been on a stimulant medication I have to cut down on other stimulants :( -- closest I have to a beverage of choice these days is tea (like the Twinings teas), but mostly I just drink a lot of water.
Nomad
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee for me. Tim Hortons... mmmmmmmmmmmmm

For home I buy foldgers or Maxwell house. I haven't experimented too much with grinding my own beans.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad wrote:
Coffee for me. Tim Hortons... mmmmmmmmmmmmm

For home I buy foldgers or Maxwell house. I haven't experimented too much with grinding my own beans.

Grinding right before brewing is the only way to go. The best grinders are the old fashioned hand cranked type. You can set the coarseness of the grind, and it'll be perfect every time. It'll cost some real money though. I'd expect to pay abot $90 for a new one, and maybe $40+ for one from an antique shop. If you go the antique shop route make sure you check the grinding mechanism for excessive wear, and make sure everything works well. The best grinders are from Germany in my experience. Don't get anything from Asia, those are just decorative garbage.

The best beans for the money is 8 o'clock French Roast. That's the old A&P(now Super Fresh) house brand. It's unbeatable in it's price range, and at Super Fresh it goes on sale frequently. It's best when you grind before brewing, but the pre-ground isn't too bad either.

Nomad
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 o'clock eh... I'll definitely be checking that out.

I don't have an old fashioned grinder, but one of those blender type ones. It will have to do for now.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be keeping my eye out for one of those grinders.
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been drinking some Peet's coffee here and there lately, it's quite tasty!

http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee.asp
Nomad
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Teabags for the hijack, it's moving the forum a little anyways Very Happy

How do you brew your coffee Zoe?

Percolating it seems so wrong, but it tastes really good. I use a drip coffee maker and have eye out on a drip maker that drips into a thermos pot. That way the coffee is not being constantly reheated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: