FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

UT2k4 is getting sluggish
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo T, just another thought. Not sure if in all that you mentioned system memory but I would guess that it is similar to my original config - Dell 8200, 2.53 Ghz w/ (originally) 512 RDRAM, ti4600 in agp slot. I recently upgrade some critical parts and it has made a difference. I upgraded the psu (to fulfill the next requirement) and video card - got a 6800 GS CO agp card, and also added in another 512 RDRAM (yeah, quite expensive but good Samsung non-ecc memory). So I've got a 6800 agp w/ a GB of memory. My main bottleneck is that the board is rated for a 4x agp max; shame it's not 8x. And I've got a 512 L2 cache, 133 FSB. I'm running original BIOS and chipset drivers. The biggest plus, I think, in terms of system performance was that doubling of memory. My load times are much shorter than they used to be. (and yeah, ditch the "pre-load skins" setting). Good Luck! Thumb

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drew, I have 768mb of pc133 ram.
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Teabags wrote:
Hi Drew, I have 768mb of pc133 ram.

k, I'm like the least tech-inclined person here, but how do you have it config'd with 768? And yeah, that's my rating too, pc133. Amazing how things have changed since we got our computers, eh?

I'm due for an upgrade in one to two years but dx10 and all it's goodness, along w/ SLI, PCI-e, 4GB of RAM, and multi-cores is still a long way off for me. Some day, some day, right?

I think I have extended my system about as far as it can possibly go short of doing some real wicked stuff (watercooling, overclocking, etc). Ultimately, I'm limited by the processor and mobo.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drew, I have (1) 512mb dimm + (1) 256mb dimm = 768mb. This type of ram doesn't need to be installed in pairs. Computers sure have changed a lot in the 4 yrs since I got mine. I have been chatting with Zoe and Oldman about building a new system. I have almost all of the components I want picked out, now I am just waiting for the money to do it. It could be several months.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I play around with settings and tweaks on this thing the more I think that my motherboard is the weakest link. The intel 845g chipset seems to be famous for its bottlenecking even with the special "intel accelerator driver" they put out for it. I can change the settings from normal to lowest in UT and it only makes only a difference of 2 or 3 in the fps. It just was never intended to be a gaming machine. I was a computer newbie when I bought it, live and learn.
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not blame that all on your pc, maps vary in fps and when I test a server map I post up the stat fps to see how well it runs on my pc and have a conversion chart to see how well it plays on lesser machines. I run sli and I do not see fps the way others do so a map that plays well for me may run at 10-20 fps for you{seasick} any where below 70 fps, Now if I start to feel it coming on it would kill you if I put it on the server and even at that I have placed maps and after a player load the frame count drops and I have to pull a good map because of the slide show affect. You want to see a heavy map load up Redemmer showdown I think it's called, it dropped my rig into the 30fps, your pc would probley say you want me to do what?
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my machine got a consistant 30 fps I would jump for joy Wink . I normally run between 20 and 30 at the worst on most maps. A few make it dip below 20. I have played redeemer showdown before and It didn't seem any worse than most. The one that really does mine in is DM-MPC-CHRISTMAS-TOWN, I get about 8 - 12 fps in some areas on that map.

I am just looking forward now to getting the new one built up. I will post a list of my component choices soon to see if you guys agree if they are wise choices. Then I won't worry about it for about 4 more years, until whatever comes after UT2k7. I am not a big gamer, I just happened to get addicted to UT. I don't really play anything else, aside from playing game cube with my kids from time to time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> UT2004 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: