FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

UT2k4 is getting sluggish
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:57 pm GMT    Post subject: UT2k4 is getting sluggish Reply with quote

Do you guys ever have to uninstall and reload UT2k4? Mine has been getting a bit sluggish lately and I noticed that the folder that it is in is 15.9gb. Over 10gb is just maps. I have an older machine p4 1.8a with a pci geforce 5200 (no agp slot)(one of Dell's 2300 value models Rolling Eyes ). I have my hard drive partitioned and the game was to big to fit on my c: drive, so I had to put it on d: instead. It is a 160gb drive split 50/110. I have cleaned out the temp dir. and defragged both drives and checked for viruses and spyware with 4 different spyware programs. Untill I get my new computer done in a couple of months or so Very Happy , I am stuck with this old thing. So if you guys have any wisdom to share concerning getting UT running a bit better, please do.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you mean sluggish? I've never really had any problems with my UT installs. You said you've defragged, that could help slow loading times, but I've never had much problem with a fragmented hard drive. They have to get really bad before fragmentation becomes an issue.

If it's a gfx problem it could be the type of maps you're playing. The 5200 was marginal at best, and having a pci version makes it all the worse. The performance of the 5200 will drop sharply as the maps get more complex. Large areas and particle effects take a heavy toll on hardware.

I don't know how you have yours set up, but here's some settings that may help without degrading the image too much:

Turn off shadows and decals. They're nice but not essential

Turn physics all the way down. It's mainly used for karma deaths I believe. Not necessary in any case. This will help the cpu a bit.

Slide fog distance to half way or so. This will take some load off the gfx card. If you run into issues on some maps turn it back up. Earlydawn is one of them. fog needs to be turned up to look right.

Uncheck dynamic lighting, detail textures, trilinear filtering, and coronas.

foliage and weather effects can be turned off to increase performance, but I consider that borderline hacking. It takes much of the realism out of the maps, and puts players with it turned on at a significant disadvantage. Think super shield on Killbillybarn. With foliage turned off the weeds around shield are gone, so there's a clear view of the immediate area, that people with foliage on don't have. I personally don't think that should be a configurable option. If a map can't be run full featured than a new gfx card should be purchased.

I'd turn all other settings to normal or lower, and play at 1024*768 or lower.

Those settings should help a good bit. You can also set the gfx card to max performance in the Nvidia control panel. I've never done that personally, but I guess it'll help. If you're feeling adventurous you can overclock the gfx card.

I uploaded Coolbits2 here http://www.mysharefile.com/d/6202163/1167886410/coolbits_forceware.reg

It should work with a pci card. What it does is adds values to the registry that unlocks the overclocking ability that Nvidia provides(but hides) in their drivers. If you want to go that route I can help you with the overclock settings and techniques. It's very easy, but there's always the small chance that you'll damage your card. It's not risk free, but I've never had problems with it.

ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why yours would be sluggish, but I'd be surprised if it was due to your folder size. Mine's like 24GB (mostly maps as well) and I'm not having any issues.
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other possibility: is your drive basically full? I've noticed that my performance with some applications gets a bit sluggish when the drive is nearly full.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I mean by sluggish is my load times. It seems to take longer to load initially, and the maps take longer to load. My graphics have always been a dog, but I haven't been able to find a nvidia graphics card in pci that is any better than the one I have. I haven't had the best experience with ati, but the Radeon X1300 looks like it is a lot faster card. It looks like the fastest thing out there right now in pci. Dell turns out to be pretty famous for not giving you the ability to upgrade your video cards unless you buy one of there higher end systems. The only thing extreme about the integrated intel extreme graphics is how crappy it is.

I have the res. set to 800 x 600. I have all of the graphics settings turned off and set to lowest quality setting in ut. I also have my video card overclocked and set to best performance in the control panel. Perhaps my computer is what needs reloaded. Perhaps I have some corrupt drivers or something. Or perhaps Windows XP is getting corrupt. I had some problems with windows acting screwy and had to restore it off from my last backup a couple of months ago. I have feared that it may be time for a fresh reload of the os. I will try uninstalling some programs to free up some space on my hard drive and i'll try updating some of my drivers to see if any of those things help. If all else fails I'll just wipe it clean and try installing everything fresh. Unless you guys have any better suggestions that is.

Last edited by Captain_Tea on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:50 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same load issue, good if someone helps you I can tag along and fix mine also. When it comes to software iam a noobee.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldman, you are a harware guy, is this card any good 'DIAMOND X1300PCI256SB Radeon X1300 GDDR2 PCI Vista Ready Video Card'. Saw it on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103016 .
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a lot of "mods" installed ? If you do you may want to try removing them first. UT2004 loads all mods on startup. Things like carball or jailbreak or whatever... that'll slow things down. Maps are getting more complex as mappers don't take us lower end PC folk into consideration. Some maps just don't run well and are poorly optimized.

Personally I use the NTFS compression on the Maps and Textures folders in my UT installs. Doesn't seem to effect map loading performance and frees up a few hundred Megs, or Gigs of space. Just right click a folder select properties, advanced, "Compress contents to save disk space" and away it goes.

Another thing that causes slow map loads / joins is the "preload skins" option. I'll edit this later, need to see what i'm set up with at home.
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Teabags wrote:
Oldman, you are a harware guy, is this card any good 'DIAMOND X1300PCI256SB Radeon X1300 GDDR2 PCI Vista Ready Video Card'. Saw it on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103016 .

To be honest Iam an EVGA builder, but a good place to check is Forums, Reviews are good BUT, in forums you will get the pros and cons on a product along with issues you may encounter, I would lean on the Radeon side.
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bags, another resource for your questions that I've found to be pretty helpful at times is this forum:

http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi

All these guys talk about -- pretty much -- is hardware.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

birch wrote:
Do you have a lot of "mods" installed ? If you do you may want to try removing them first. UT2004 loads all mods on startup. Things like carball or jailbreak or whatever... that'll slow things down. Maps are getting more complex as mappers don't take us lower end PC folk into consideration. Some maps just don't run well and are poorly optimized.

Where do i find the mods, and how do I remove them? I know what you mean about the newer maps, that christmastown map i only got between 9 and 15 fps. Hard to play when that choppy.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Teabags wrote:

I think it'd be better to deal with the slowdowns than buy way outdated technology. The card might be ok, but it'd be almost useless for any system built in the last 5 years. Most people that would want a card like that would have an agp or pciex slot. I don't think you'd get much for resale, and that money would be better spent on a new highend card. $100 added to whatever you'd spend on your upcoming system is a significant upgrade.

Windows XP shouldn't ever really corrupt and slowdown unless your overclocking your system. I've found it to be very stable and my installs last a year or more(I have gotten corruption, but I think that's from overclocking to the edge of stability).

I like B][rch's suggestions best. If you haven't played anything weird on other servers you probably don't have much in the way of mods installed. The ones that would be of most concern are the big makeovers like the rpg mod, red orchestra, jailbreak, and stuff like that. Those would show up in your system folder with a .u and .ucl extension I believe.

I don't think your hd is too full as long as you have 15%-20% free space remaining.

It almost seems like a low ram issue. Are you sure performance has gotten worse? Or are you maybe just noticing it more? I've never had UT get slower over time. I think I've gone 2.5 years before reinstalling for other reasons.

Check out this tweak guide http://www.tweakguides.com/UT2004_1.html His guides are generally on the money. I have some issues with some of the things in his XP tweak guide, but they're generally of high quality. You may find something that'll help you in there.

I'd try to stay away from spending money on your current system. It's useful gaming life is pretty much finished. Time to retire it to a leisurely life of web surfing and business apps. If it were a year or 2 ago I might have recommended stripping the parts and putting them into an overclockable system. But it's just getting too old now, and parts are starting to become hard to find for P4 systems. Any money you put into this will be money taken away from your new computer.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe, you are absolutely right. It is time to retire it to websurfing. I just get frustrated when my game suffers severely because the computer is just an old dog. I will run through those tweaks, they may help. I think me or my wife made the mistake of using compress old files in the disk cleanup app, so I went through today and decompressed them and did a fresh defrag. Seems to have gotten things working the way they were before it started slowing down.

Thanks everyone for your help!!
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tweak guide is huge. I have done a couple of things it has recommended so far with good results. I am getting a faster boot up and quicker response from my hard drive now. I will go through the rest of it in the days to come. Thanks Zoe!!! Thumb
Tob
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You can install a new diver I ‘m running NVIDIA 5200 ultra with 128 of memory the driver is call omega this driver is clean no extra bull…..http://www.omegadrivers.net/, another tweak if you have a second hard drive you can change the page file or swap file to the second drive this will increase overall performance to the pc (including UT) Smilie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> UT2004 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: