FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

What do you guys think of this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamster going to get tried running his little feet of, how about some power Rolling Eyes OCZ Makes a nice 4 rail 700watt. and with that gtx you better have power.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:
Hamster going to get tried running his little feet of, how about some power Rolling Eyes OCZ Makes a nice 4 rail 700watt. and with that gtx you better have power.

Laughing I was just planning on getting theOCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply that Zoe recommended. I just put it into my pricegrabber list. That way if I want to run a washing machine or air conditioner off my computer I'll have lots of power Laughing
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I edited my post before I saw yours. 16gb OMG WOW. The ones I listed will go to 8gb. I can't imagine you even needing that much, but I'm not familiar with the apps you use. You would be a better judge of that than me.

I guess you know how to check your ram usage now, right? Open up task manager and look at your commit charge. The peak usage is how much memory you've used max including the page file. You want that number to be below your actual physical memory. If it goes above that, then your using the page file and slowing down performance.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe wrote:
Edit: The 2 boards that I like are P5W-DH Deluxe(that's what I'm using) and the P5B Deluxe. Both are from Asus.

I think that 8gb would be sufficient but the P5W-DH board costs over twice as much. I will have to do more checking into the Asus P5N-SLI Motherboard to see why it is so cheap compared to other boards, and see what skeleton's if any are hiding in its closet.

As far as page file is concerned, I know that I will definitely want more than 4gb ram in the future. I have already passed 3gb many times at work with Unigraphics and crashed because Windows filled up. Models get bigger as they release new versions of the software. I don't have that software at home yet, but I will probably be getting it in the next couple of years.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at the asus more in depth i realized it wasn't quite what I was lloking for. Thanks Zoe for taking the time to look at it and give your opinion. I have found the eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Motherboard for $222.67. I see mixed reviews some shining and some had problems. I am attracted to the ability of the 680i nvidia chipset to run 2 video cards at full x16 pci-e. That would give me the option of throwing a second geforce 8800 in when the price comes down. This board also has a lifetime warranty. I have not written off looking at the intel chipsets though since they are in the same price range. Perhaps one of you guys with a better understanding of the sli technology could let me know what the +'s and -'s are.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sold on the idea of SLI. I used to like it, but I've read convincing arguments against it. 2 cards right away is overkill if buying top end, or a waste of money if buying med-low end. My thinking is 2 top end cards will give you way more fps than you need(is 200 fps really better than 125?), and 2 med-low end cards will cost as much or almost as much as top end, and it still won't be quite as good. It may be missing some new or advanced features of a top end card.

If adding a card to an existing system, you'll be buying out dated tech, and won't get as good performance if you just bought a new card of the latest technology. You can get some money back by selling your old card(someone would love a used 8800GTX), and the total cost won't be that much more for better performance.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nvidia chipset also claims a 1333/1066mhz fsb, the intel shows 1066/800mhz. Is nvidia just being proactive and setting up their board for future processors or is that something that can be taken advantage of now for overclocking and such? Please forgive all of my questions since I am a noob when it comes to these things. Where are some good trustworthy sources for learning more?
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are some good trustworthy sources for learning more?

Your typing on it. Visit forums read and above all type, if one does not ask one never knows, if one thinks it's a dumb question then one buggers up a good piece of hardware, forums are filled with the good guys that help and the ones that just like to think there better forget them and ask the good ones for help and you shall have the right pc and a killer at that. We were all noobs at one time but got to where were at because we started before you.
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Teabags wrote:
After looking at the asus more in depth i realized it wasn't quite what I was lloking for. Thanks Zoe for taking the time to look at it and give your opinion. I have found the eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Motherboard for $222.67. I see mixed reviews some shining and some had problems. I am attracted to the ability of the 680i nvidia chipset to run 2 video cards at full x16 pci-e. That would give me the option of throwing a second geforce 8800 in when the price comes down. This board also has a lifetime warranty. I have not written off looking at the intel chipsets though since they are in the same price range. Perhaps one of you guys with a better understanding of the sli technology could let me know what the +'s and -'s are.

I have been waiting for the new Asus plus board, the problems that the 680i had were the reference design boards the board you posted was just such a board, Asus did not go reference and did not have as much trouble, the plus board that is due soon was a change design which now has different Caps and a new bios. Hang tight and let us read a bit more.
Heres the new Asus board I have been watching. and looks to come in at around $249 I know Cludit will beat that price.
http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=6420&cid=4
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:

I hope that my question didn't offend you or Zoe. I wasn't trying to say I didn't trust you guys. I just was looking for more sources of information that you guys trust, for lack of a better way to put it.

Zoe wrote:
I'm not sold on the idea of SLI. I used to like it, but I've read convincing arguments against it. 2 cards right away is overkill if buying top end, or a waste of money if buying med-low end. My thinking is 2 top end cards will give you way more fps than you need(is 200 fps really better than 125?), and 2 med-low end cards will cost as much or almost as much as top end, and it still won't be quite as good. It may be missing some new or advanced features of a top end card.

The ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus that you mentioned looks like a good solid board. Now I just have to figure out if SLI is for me or not. Zoe made some very good points. You have SLI on your board don't you Oldman? What has your experience been? Would I be better off with just one top end card? Confused
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Teabags wrote:
OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:

I hope that my question didn't offend you or Zoe. I wasn't trying to say I didn't trust you guys. I just was looking for more sources of information that you guys trust, for lack of a better way to put it.

Zoe wrote:

The ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus that you mentioned looks like a good solid board. Now I just have to figure out if SLI is for me or not. Zoe made some very good points. You have SLI on your board don't you Oldman? What has your experience been? Would I be better off with just one top end card? Confused

Offend heck no we are more than happy to help, I just ment check forums for others that way you get a good mix of ideas and answers, if we all say the same thing you know your good to go.

Yes I run sli and yes I will buy a board thats sli, now will the new one be sli? I look at it this way the boards prices are not that far apart so why not have the option if one needs it. If you look at the scores two boards do make a difference but at the same time one great video board will do the same and if one has the money down the road buy the second, but then down the road has the next gen of boards come out and do you upgrade what you have or buy the new king? Now I build about every two years and it's a complete system unless just a viedo/cpu will do the trick. With vista and the board I am looking at this may be the system for awhile with memory, cpu , or video update. Who knows my mood come next year there may be two 8800 gtx cards a physic card and a 1000 watt power supply in the new beast, plus a mini air conditioner in there, lol
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I forgot to get back to you Tea Embarassed The 1333fsb is for future processors. The 1066 is for everything out now. Other forums I like are

www.overclockers.com overclocking centric site. It doesn't have a ton of traffic, and questions aren't always answered, but there's a lot of good info there.

www.anandtech.com good general site for computer help. It's one of the biggest on the net, and you'll get quick help for problems. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people there, but also some that aren't so much Razz They're easy to tell apart though and the good info rises to the top.

www.arstechnica.com this is the elite of the the computer sites. I prefer the front page articles, but their forums are good too. They have some of the best that hang there, but their patience isn't always the best. Anandtech is better for the newbie questions I think.

There's other good sites, but these are the ones I hit every day.

Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good article on 64bit Vista that Oldman turned me on to. It gives a pretty good breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of going 64bit.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_x64.asp

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it pains me to say this, I am most likely going to be forced to postpone my computer build until further notice. My ex wife is trying to stick me with a $4000 bill for my 15 yr old daughters braces, and a $2000 bill for my 11 year olds. If it turns out i'm liable for the bills, my entire tax return and then some will be gone. All that on top of the fact that I got laid off last Friday Shocked . Praise God I already have a new job lined up and I start next Monday Smilie . I won't be working any overtime for a while so money will be tight though. I think I am just going to put the DIAMOND X1300PCI256SB Radeon X1300 in my box and use it for probably 1 more year. The card got pretty good reviews on newegg compared to the other pci cards I looked at, and it has a mail in rebate Thumb . If what they say is true it will be a night and day improvement over the one I have (geforce 5200). I'll at least be able to play UT2004 better until I can afford to build my dream box Very Happy .

Thanks so much Zoe and Oldman for all of your help. On the plus side i'll be able to buid it cheaper this time next year Pound and that will give Microsoft time to get the first couple service packs done for Vista Rolling Eyes , and for companies to get their hardware drivers certified. I will keep all of the components in pricegrabber, and if the price is right and money permits, I'll slowly aquire the parts until it is finished.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear of your recent bad luck Tea. I hope things work out well for you Thumb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: