FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

What do you guys think of this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just about have all my components picked out. Should I consider the windows xp pro 64bit with vista upgrade instead of media center edition? There is a chance I may want the expanded memory ability that comes with the 64bit in the future for Cad. 3D models are memory hogs. I am not sure how older programs run on it though. What do you think?

I also am wondering about setting up a raid arrangement for the hard drives. Is this more beneficial than just having good backup software. I already have powerquest drive image.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stay away from 64bit for a general purpose box. I think a lot of older apps will break, and drivers are going to be a nightmare for awhile. 32bit will read 3-3.8gb of ram, that's not too bad for running memory intensive programs.

You may want to look into buying Vista retail when it's released also. An oem copy of XP(and Vista if you cash in the coupon) are married to the computer it was installed on. I don't know what your upgrade cycle is, but that might be a consideration. Vista will be around for awhile I imagine, so your copy may outlive the computer and you'll have to buy another one if you build a new box. The motherboard is the key component. When that changes you're supposed to buy a new license. If you buy retail you can move it from computer to computer.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you would know if the new media center edition is capable of using 3gb of memory for a single application as does xp pro. I run xp pro at work and we have them all set to have the 3gb enabled. For my CAD software I need to have the 3gb enabled because the standard 2gb isn't enough for a lot of my drawings. Once and a while even 3 gb isn't enough causing me to have to open part of the models and work on them a little bit at a time instead of opening the whole thing. I plan on using my CAD software at home so that is why I was asking about the 64bit edition.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a discussion on another forum that somewhat contradicts what I said http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17672361 I'm not sure what to think tbh. I may get the 64bit and dual boot XP.

I'm supposed to get Vista Business Edition sometime after launch. I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not 64 and 32 bit will come on the same disk. If it does have both, maybe I'll install 64 bit and report back on how it goes.

As to the memory address switch...As near as I can tell all versions (except starter) will be able to use the switch. Current XP Media Center is basically XP Pro with the Media Center overlay, so you should be able to use the switch with that.

OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe from what I have read only the Retail will offer 32 or 64 bit at install time. As for Oem I have not read anything about it having both unless you al ready were running xp64 bit. At the cost of retail I may go that route so I can move from pc build to pc build, not like the old days where $100 got you a new oem version.
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all due respect, I think if you go with that Gateway system, it won't take long until you're disappointed with it - and if you're going to upgrade 6 months from now (and, say, spend $300 on a very good gfx card), I'd say you'd be better off waiting those 6 months, spending the extra $300 then, and you'll get a rig that is that much better.

Just a question of personal philosophy but I'd rather save for a long period of time and then buy the best thing I can (or what was the best 6 months previous, and is now time-tested AND cheaper) when I'm ready. In the end, I think the system would then last you longer.

OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A system with me only lasts as long as my reading reviews which is about a year or two tops. To be honest I doin't upgrade I build, and a system takes me about six months with changes the whole way till the final, I have a price and if something drops I buy bigger till the last part was bought. Since I build a system not from the paycheck it gives me a reason to work the shop, if only I could maintain that year round.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am wondering about setting up a raid arrangement for the hard drives. Is this more beneficial than just having good backup software. I already have Powerquest drive image (now owned by Symantec).
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raid is good to a point, but nothing beats removal disks. Lets say you have raid setup to half on 1 and half on 2, guess what happens if you loose either dirve?
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:
Raid is good to a point, but nothing beats removal disks. Lets say you have raid setup to half on 1 and half on 2, guess what happens if you loose either dirve?

So when a raid drive fails it isn't as good at rebuilding the lost drive as what I was led to believe?
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raid 0 (or 0 redundancy) takes two disks and makes the os think there's 1. In other words 2 300gb hd's will show as 1 600gb hd. This can modestly improve performance, but if 1 disk goes down you lose everything.

Raid 1 mirrors the data onto another disk so if 1 goes down you have a backup.

Raid 5 splits the data up on 3 or more disks. I think you can rebuild if 2 disks go down but I'm not totally sure. These are the only Raid sets I'm at all familiar with. I believe Raid 10 combines Raid 0 and 5 so you get speed and redundancy, but you'd have to read up on that yourself.

I'm not crazy about the idea of Raid volumes because it adds another level of complexity to the system. Raid 5 is probably most useful but I don't feel like spending the money or screwing around with it. It's probably better to backup to an external hd anyway. That way if you have catastrophic computer failure you'll still have the data backed up outside the box.

If I were to use Raid I'd buy a separate controller card, and probably use Raid 10. That's kind of an expensive proposition though due to the cost of the drives.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is most of what I have picked out so far:

PNY GeForce 8800 GTX Video Card
from $551.52

Asus P5N-SLI Motherboard
from $92.72

WD Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive
from $142.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor
from $295.21

Corsair 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit
from $204.75

Thermalright XP-90C CPU Cooler
from $43.00

Samsung SH-S182D Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer
from $27.99

Sabrent 52-in-1 / USB 2.0 Internal / Flash Memory Card Reader & Write
from $11.90

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 SP2B with Vista Upgrade
from $130.10

Let me know if I have made good choices Very Happy
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

woops posted the same thing twice Embarassed

Last edited by Captain_Tea on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:27 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to be overclocking? If so I'd get DDR2-667 memory at a minimum to eliminate ram as a potential bottleneck for clock speed.

I also prefer Intel chipsets for my motherboard. I'm hesitant to recommend that outright though because it's primarily personal prejudice that I use Intel. It'll also end up costing you twice as much to go that route.

I read a few reviews on Newegg about that board you listed and there were a few complaints of inadequate cooling of the northbridge. If you do end up getting that board you may want to look into an aftermarket cooling solution for the northbridge. Otherwise your list looks pretty good.

Edit: The 2 boards that I like are P5W-DH Deluxe(that's what I'm using) and the P5B Deluxe. Both are from Asus

I like this memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220174 I would prefer Crucial or Team Group but the prices are way high now.

Last edited by Zoe on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:23 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe wrote:
Are you going to be overclocking? If so I'd get DDR2-667 memory at a minimum to eliminate ram as a potential bottleneck for clock speed.

I also prefer Intel chipsets for my motherboard. I'm hesitant to recommend that outright though because it's primarily personal prejudice that I use Intel. It'll also end up costing you twice as much to go that route.

I read a few reviews on Newegg about that board you listed and there were a few complaints of inadequate cooling of the northbridge. If you do end up getting that board you may want to look into an aftermarket cooling solution for the northbridge. Otherwise your list looks pretty good.

I'm sorry i forgot to list the ram speed, it is 667MHz. I do plan to overclock, probably not at first, but when I get an application that needs it I will, and this board seems to be set up to do it easily. I didn't see the particular reviews you saw, but I will definitely check them out. The main factor driving my choice of this board was it's ability to support 16GB of ram. I may never use that much, but most of the boards I saw would only support 4GB. I have a feeling in about 2 years with the games coming out and with 3D CAD programs like Unigraphics and Catia there is a very good possibility I will want more than 4GB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: