FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Map rotation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Map rotation? Reply with quote

C'mon guys...you can't honestly believe that's a good map rotation that is currently on your server? I realized it was completely destroyed because "some" of you were tired of playing the same maps over and ovaer again. However, the reason you were playing the same maps over and over again is because they were the good maps that were in your rotation. I know you guys like to change it up and bring in different maps......but geez....how about screening the different maps to make sure it really is a good map instead of some tricked out eyecandy map that plays like crap. I'm sure this won't convince you to change your rotation....but it's pretty obvious that you aren't drawing the number of players you used to the server. Sorry for the whining...but you guys had a great server that I have a great connection to, wiith some good guys to play against....kinda sucks to see such a terrible map rotation on it.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old maps will come back in the future. The problem is we attract players that'll play the same competition maps over and over. It gets old playing campgrounds, deck, roughinery, and goose then having the server reset the rotation and playing them again.

Some people are happy to play Rankin over and over because it's familiar to them and they don't have to learn anything new. It makes people feel skilled, without actually putting any work into learning a new map, or adapting to an unfamiliar arena.

We really need to give the maps listed above a break. If you have suggestions for a map that you feel plays well. Feel free to give us a tip on the forums. Oldman's very accomodating when people have map requests. I don't love all the maps we're currently running(a couple I downright hate), but it's a varied selection that anybody should be able to find something they like.

ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe wrote:
It makes people feel skilled, without actually putting any work into learning a new map, or adapting to an unfamiliar arena.

We really need to give the maps listed above a break

I agree with the first part of your comment. I absolutely do not agree with the second part. Those are great maps and should be left in the rotation. Those maps were overplayed on your server because you didn't have a lot else out there to offer. And now it's just been made even worse..There is nothing wrong with adding new maps...new maps are great...as long as they're good maps. Most of you guys have been playing long enough that you know what good maps are, so I am just completely baffled at some of the crap that has popped up in the rotation. I'll try to get a list together.
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record each Month I print out a played server list and compare it to the Month before, Maps that have 10 or less plays are History, but many never see that because they were not played so were not missed in the rotation. Are played map totals are climbing each month.

Now for the map Loads I load the server for all to play not just the hot shots. Big, small, open area, tight, and some just for the fun of it.
The current rotation is a Halloween run and yes some do not like some of the maps and I pulled six of them right after the load because they were just plain bad maps for server play.

I also pull maps because some of the new players never stand a chance playing the big boys, but are server is not about only the best winning it's about having fun and I do try to look out for all, thats why I spec so much to get the players feel about maps.

I play every new map on my pc before it even hits the server checking for bugs and low frame and yes there are a couple on the server that are Dark or very tight or what ever, but the bottom line is if we only played the great maps then we would loose out on some just plain fun. For me iam not a great player and on some maps it's Hammer time, sure I get fragged alot, but I will make the best work for it if I get in close.

Now in closing you may get upset over a map, but think about coming in last every map over and over, just maybe I will find that player a bad map that he will mop the floor with the big boys.

I remember at 10 pm most nights we had no porblems getting on are own server now it's packed with new players.

O and BTW I do not get upset over comments or posts, I run about 200 maps per, changing every week and yes you will see the old maps come back from time to time.
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be real honest at the risk of sounding like an asshole, if you don't like the rotation then go find another server to play on. The server we run was never meant to be a competition server. It's about having fun and maintaining a good fellowship. If you want competition maps, there's umpteen million servers running them with 11ty billion other people that have to win every map playing them. Co30 isn't about winning every map and having only the competition or "stock" maps in the rotation. It's about having fun and teaching "noobs" the ropes of the game instead of just pasting them all over the map. It's always been that way. I don't know why all of a sudden this comes as such a surpise to you.
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Swift - ya know what? You're not an asshole - you're a Co30, the perfect example. Bravo for what you stated (just another example of wisdom coming from youth!), beautifully done.

When I joined this clan, via a gracious invitation, I was a relative noob to Unreal. These folks embraced me as a player and clan member for my spirit, humor, fun-loving attitude, NOT my gameplay. Clearly, if game skills were an issue, I'd have been kicked out a long time ago.

Swift perfectly captured the spirit of our server. Reflex, you're a superb player. Funny thing is, I wonder if you get a kick out of fraggin' me the way I get a kick out of fraggin' YOU? For me, a Reflex kill is a hoot, a mighty WOOT if I may paraphrase my Canadian brothers. I figure it's no big deal to kill me, I'm not that good. But for me to get a good shot (as opposed to my spam kills) on a truly fine player, well, that's just as much fun as winning a map.

Our map rotation provides variety, which many of us need at the end of the day (when guys like Atvar climb out of their sterile little cubicle!). when I log onto xgs (which, by the way, I contribute a few $100 a year to keep up and running), I want to have fun, period. Playing the same map night after night, to me, is not fun, plain n' simple. We will all NEVER totally agree on which maps are good and which are not; but I'm terribly grateful to Oldman for keepin' it real, keepin' it fresh.

Our team spirit, our clan spirit, our brother-and sister-hood that makes us Co30 is what it's all about, dude. We function as SO MUCH MORE outside the context of the game, which you, of course, simply don't see. AND - we're one of the few remaining clans from the original Unreal days. That's saying something too. When one of us laughs, we pretty much all laugh; when one of us is in pain, we all feel his/her pain.

Reflex, you're welcome to play on our server, as any honorable player is. We don't tolerate rude people, haters, or cheaters. If you don't care for the rotation, perhaps you should drop a few drachma's and start your own. I for one would love to play for free on it. Clap

ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are taking this whole thing in entirely the wrong direction. Yes...I admit I play to win...but it's not the end of the world if I don't (which is a good thing lately Razz). I also play to have fun and am more than willing to help anyone out that if they ask. I don't freely offer advice because alot of people get hostile and feel like they're being critiqued. I don't care about competition maps or stock maps...just good maps.

As far as your comments swift...pretty piss poor if you ask me. I've been nothing but open and friendly to all of you ever since I've been playing on your guys' server...so don't make it some like I'm some elitist unsociable asshole that's only out there to win. I don't expect any of you to bend over backwards and throw maps that I like to play on your server...I'd actually be surprised if you did. I know there's umpteen billion servers out there....but I like fragging with you guys as I've been doing it for so long and you all are a pretty good group to frag with. I guess that's all I have, not really trying to start WWIII here...just venting.

p.s. Yes Drew....I still get a kick out of fragging you...especially when I catch you being sneaky. Razz

Cya in fragland!
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record....the only reason I voted for Drew was cause he was so darn easy to kill.
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ref13x wrote:
You guys are taking this whole thing in entirely the wrong direction. Yes...I admit I play to win...but it's not the end of the world if I don't (which is a good thing lately Razz). I also play to have fun and am more than willing to help anyone out that if they ask. I don't freely offer advice because alot of people get hostile and feel like they're being critiqued. I don't care about competition maps or stock maps...just good maps.

As far as your comments swift...pretty piss poor if you ask me. I've been nothing but open and friendly to all of you ever since I've been playing on your guys' server...so don't make it some like I'm some elitist unsociable asshole that's only out there to win. I don't expect any of you to bend over backwards and throw maps that I like to play on your server...I'd actually be surprised if you did. I know there's umpteen billion servers out there....but I like fragging with you guys as I've been doing it for so long and you all are a pretty good group to frag with. I guess that's all I have, not really trying to start WWIII here...just venting.

p.s. Yes Drew....I still get a kick out of fragging you...especially when I catch you being sneaky. Razz

Cya in fragland!

Well I'm sorry I made you feel that way. Reading back on my post I don't see where I called you that at any point. I was merely stating that if that is your thing then go play elsewhere because that's not what we're about. I enjoy playing with you and everybody is comptetitive to a point. But when I'm feeling competitive I take it to TAM (because I believe that mod is all about competition) or a more competitve server where it's ok to plaster people everywhere and play Goose/Roughinery/Rankin every other map. When I go to the Co30 server, I relax my gameplay a bit because I just want to have fun and not care about killing everything in sight. I also play on the Co30 server because the maps are so different from the competition servers. I'm not saying your an elitest prick that thinks you're better than everybody. I can remember when I was a noob, YOU and everybody at Co30 helped me to be a better player and helped me get over the steep learning curve that UT has. So I don't want you to feel like I'm bashing you in my previous post. Just look at it as more of a reminder on what the Co30 server is really about, because I think people tend to forget at times (even me.)
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok NUFF said and please return your tray tables so we can get on with it.

Reflex I make you a deal I will rotate the oldies back on and remove them from time to time to force other map plays. And I do like to have links to other sites with maps, Since I pick the main body of maps and do try to get the good ones you have to remember I doin't see a map or play a map like anyone else so you could say it's one sided till some one tells me, and Buttfield does, My rig is no where like some of the others out there Birch even gave me a frame list where my 120 fps is his 10 or my 170 is his 60 fps, so you can see that I have to stat fps a map before placing it on the server and even at that we still get frame killers under load and they get removed.

So what Iam saying is heres the forum attn OLDMAN and say not that the server is getting bad or whats with the maps, just say and explain the bugs or issues, my clan does and the dog gets pulled, and no Iam not pulling Serpentine, 8 Ball, or Bikini Bottom, Joker
ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLDMAN(Co30) wrote:
So what Iam saying is heres the forum attn OLDMAN and say not that the server is getting bad or whats with the maps, just say and explain the bugs or issues, my clan does and the dog gets pulled, and no Iam not pulling Serpentine, 8 Ball, or Bikini Bottom, Joker

Sounds good...thanks OM. I realize a lot more goes into the map selection process than I or most people would even think of...and i'm sure it's a time consuming process, so I'm sorry if you were offended by my comments. I'll keep this in mind for future reference and try to present my concerns in a less argumentative manner.

No hard feelings swift. You didn't actually call me that...i just felt like you were implying that...always easy to misinterpret things on the internet though.

I think we have a workable answer though. I'll stop being whiny and argumentative and actually submit a list for OMs review. Then take it from there. Razz

Please return to you regularly scheduled programming.
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

VitalOrgan wrote:
For the record....the only reason I voted for Drew was cause he was so darn easy to kill.

Hm, funny.....that's the same reason your brother Fang told me he voted YOU in! Bawhaha

Hodad
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new maps.I'm the newb getting plastered all over those
old,well rehearsed maps. Pound New stuff keeps it fresh for everyone.
Your doing a great job with the map rotation.Love the Halloween maps!
achilles
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than making Oldman spill his coffee. Smacking zoe with a good combo, Fragging Buttfield with anything ; even the deemer doesnt work.

Without the new levels to give me a chance I wouldnt even go there Joker ( If you believe that I have a really nice bridge to sell )

BUT> thats one of the great things about the Co30 server. New maps always and good competition with no smack talk or cheaters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: