FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

predict the future challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:40 pm GMT    Post subject: predict the future challenge Reply with quote

Moores Law and all, Bah - Humbug!

If ya look back 5 years, the changes in our pcs are extraordinary. From firewire to SATA drives, wireless GB ethernet, DDR2 and 4GB of RAM ceiling, to 10,000RPM drives and double layer DVD writers, dual core procs, hyperthreaded apps and 64 bit processing, SLI and PCI-e, well, its all a big leap from the year 2000 - ha, remember the digital madness that was gonna take us all down at the beginning of the new millenium?

So tell me, predictive gurus - in five years, what do you all think the standard pcs (or a gamers pc) will be like in 2010? Clap

BuZZ(Co30)
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wont need any of that hardware stuff. Well all be wired wifi direct to our brains, optic implants. You know its coming.... Wanna be first???
OMG OMG OMG
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, Im surprised - nobody wants to play hi-tech Nostrodamus? Rolling Eyes

Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldrewCo30 wrote:
wow, Im surprised - nobody wants to play hi-tech Nostrodamus? Rolling Eyes

I really have no idea. Things have progressed at an amazing rate over the last 20 or so years. It doesnt seem like it was that long ago I was booting up a computer with a 5.25 floppy, then putting in another one to run an application Shocked . My current video card probably has more computing power than the computers used for the moon shot in what was it? 1969?

I just bought my son one of those joystick boxes that has a few classic games built into it, that plugs into a tv. It has Pacman, Galaxian, Digdug, Rallyx(I think thats the name), and one other game I cant recall the name of. I paid $20 for it at Bestbuy. It probably would have cost over $100 back in the 80s. Its amazing how much games have advanced since then.

I guess my only prediction would be in harddrive improvements. I think within 5 years well start seeing solidstate harddrives at affordable prices. That will give a huge boost in speed and greater reliability, with less heat and noise.
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years, OK iam game.
The case will not be the box as we know it, if its not a designer its out.
3-4 gig of ram, games will demand it.
Video real world picture quality.
Cooling 75% water or maybe an air conditioner unit.
Cpu much smaller , but much bigger in computing power
Very few cds all DVD drives
Hard drives huge in gigs
Monitors, we will see more projectors and wide screen plasma.
Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see huge leaps in processors .. like 4 cpus on one die
no more video cards they way we know them .. they will be sockets like our cpus and will skip communicating with the northbridge

solid state hard drives ( droool )
the jump to 10+ gigs of ram ( or maybe not with solid state hard drives )
pc's becoming alot smaller, using less juice and producing less heat.

amd right now are on 90nm and do 9 ops per cycle the new intell conroe is 65nm and does 12 ops per cycle.. i see these getting smaller and smaller with more cores on a single die
is a Nali Poster

Location: Buffalo,NY. A drinking town with a football problem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear war will set us all back a few paces I'm thinking. Smilie

We'll be drawing pictures of monsters on cave walls again in no time.

If our oil greedy governments can manage to 'keep it in their pants', however,.. I'm looking forward to true life quality video for future games such as Resident Evil 12, where you upload family photos, pics of co-workers, and "friends", and they are made into zombies for you to hunt down and ..umm,... help them rest in peace. Of course this has to be played wearing a full VR suit, in your X-Cube VR Playstation. Running on Linux X Edition.

On a sidenote, I'm looking to seew hen companies start putting product endorsments directly into our games. I myself watch so little TV already, that I hardly know when new movies are coming out, or what new GAMES are coming out even for consoles at least.

Playing Half Life 4, and as you get to meet up with Eli Vance, and he says.. "One moment Gordon, I'll explain how that H-Vac Suit works (again...ugh) right after I enjoy a refreshing drink of Pepsi-2.0."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: