FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Help for 2k4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hook2h8
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:57 am GMT    Post subject: Help for 2k4 Reply with quote

Not that I am a pro by any respects, but some help I have received recently from some Elite players has helped me a great deal. If anyone would like help with movement(even it is just getting around map faster) and using the shield to save your arse, please let me know. I like helping, even if it means dying more. Just let me know. Oh and I do have a couple weapon training maps for Lightning Gun and Link Gun that I found very useful. I will gladly send those to anyone who asks.

Hook
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:43 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Help for 2k4 Reply with quote

Hook2h8 wrote:
Not that I am a pro by any respects, but some help I have received recently from some Elite players has helped me a great deal. If anyone would like help with movement(even it is just getting around map faster) and using the shield to save your arse, please let me know. I like helping, even if it means dying more. Just let me know. Oh and I do have a couple weapon training maps for Lightning Gun and Link Gun that I found very useful. I will gladly send those to anyone who asks.

Hook

yeah those maps you sent me a while back helped me out a great deal. Thanks hook Thumb

I've gotten a little better with my sheild from playing TAM and Freon. When I used to play DM all the time, it might as well not even existed in my arsenal. I just need to practice running/dodging backwards through maps and not getting hung up on walls while doing so. I've started dodging backwards more because that tends to throw off peoples shots, but I tend to back myself into a wall which causes problems.

Anybody that needs help with dodging, I can lend a helping hand. I love to dodge, in fact, sometimes I don't even shoot at people, I just walk around the map and see how long I can dodge shots until I die, lol. It sounds silly, but it really helps. Just let me know Smilie
Hodad
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need all the help I can get! Movement/dodging being one skill in a long list.Shield defense I know little about as well.
Hodad
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do have a couple weapon training maps for Lightning Gun and Link Gun that I found very useful. I will gladly send those to anyone who asks.

Upload them to the server and provide a link. You are able to do so here - > http://www.co30.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=52&func=addfile
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodad wrote:
I need all the help I can get! Movement/dodging being one skill in a long list.Shield defense I know little about as well.
Hodad

A couple of things that work for me when dodging:

Movement keys. From the people I have talked to that have a hard time with dodging, it seems they use a hard key combo for movement and jumping. From my experience, it's easier to dodge with keys that you can tap rapidly and not have to be all over the keyboard to do it. I know a lot of people use wasd for movement and space for jump. The spacebar is kind of hard to use for double jumping because you can't tap it rapidly, it always seems to hang and causes you to miss double jumps or dodge jumps. If you use wasd, assign a smaller key for jump. I use the arrow keys for movement and the ctrl for jump. I also adjusted my dodge double-click time in the input settings to .40 so you don't have to be as quick with the double tap for dodging.

Make sure you mix up the dodging. Don't always dodge to one side or dodge constantly(after all, you don't want to completely throw your aim off.) Most people tend to dodge to the right, so try to dodge left more than you do right and don't always dodge jump, instead mix it up with dodge/dodge jumps. Birch taught me a lesson a long time ago about dodge jumping all the time. He saw where I would do it so often he just anticipated it and popped me everytime. Also, don't always dodge towards the opponent because the closer you get, the easier it is for them to switch to a splash weapon and waste you. Keep your distance so it makes it harder for them to get a good sight on you. You want to always try to keep your opponent in your field of view as well. I know I still struggle with getting too carried away with the dodging and I confuse myself as to where they went.

Practice is probably the most important thing. Fire up instant action and load a map with godlike bots. Bots will teach you a lot because they hardly ever miss and if they're in close proximity they will run right for you with flak or link. Don't even try to shoot them, just catch one's attention and try to dodge away from them, seeing how long you can make it by dodging and using shield before they kill you or you kill them. When you feel pretty comfortable with your movements hop onto a server and play with people. People will try to anticipate your moves so watch how they move and where they're firing to counter. Playing on a server and practicing will help out a lot because people will let you know when you're dodging a certain way too much or using the same dodge movements over and over by the way they engage in battle with you.

Use wall dodges if you get into a small area or if an area gets congested. Jump close to a wall, double tap the opposite direction and then jump again (you don't have to add the last jump, though it helps.) I would stay away from double jumping and then wall dodging because it takes a little longer to get the dodge off. With just doing a single jump and then dodging, it happens a little faster and it's harder to pick up on. If you time a wall dodge right, you can jump over players or past them and turn around for the kill while they're trying to get you in their sights. Don't use wall dodges often though, they're easily picked up on and if you just wall dodge back and forth people will pick you off easily. Use it mainly for catching people off guard or in a close quarters battle when none of the other dodges seem to shake them (ie: use it to get behind them and throw their aim off.)

Try not to bunny hop often, instead just try to replace it with dodging off to the left or right. Bunny hopping leaves you hung in the air for somebody to pick you off easily.

That's all I can think of for right now that seems to work for me. Just try to get a technique down that works for you and seems to throw other players off. Also, pay close attention to how other players engage in battle with you so you can see where you need to change things up. Some players you won't be able to shake, Hook being one of them. So if you run across hook, throw the shield up and back away Wink

Hope this helps out a little bit.
Hodad
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice Teh swift ! I'll try practicing dodging/evading bots on godlike.I've been trying to change up my movements,less predictable being the goal.I'll give it a whirl.Thanks again.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very good advice Swift. I especially like the part about practicing against godlike bots. I have always struggled with dodging, i am all thumbs. I will say 1 thing, whatever you've been doing Swift, it is definitely working Thumb . I have a heck of a lot harder time against you than I used to. I will have to start practicing with the super bots till the dodging becomes more natural to me.
Hook2h8
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I click the link you provided to upload the maps it gives me this. You have no permitted upload categories - please refer to the webmaster. Zoe has the maps too I believe, could you upload them? Thanks Hook
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook2h8 wrote:
When I click the link you provided to upload the maps it gives me this. You have no permitted upload categories - please refer to the webmaster. Zoe has the maps too I believe, could you upload them? Thanks Hook

yeah I get the same error

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I must have overlooked this thread :^/ . I'm missing packages from these maps, so I don't have the whole thing. You could use a free file hosting site to for these. I've been using Mediafire lately http://www.mediafire.com/ No real reason, they were one of the first Google hits from a search LoL. You can upload to them, then they'll provide you with a link that you can give out. I would zip the maps together, and do it as 1 upload.

Sarge(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook2h8 wrote:

Did you login first?
feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, if anybody needs advice on dying, I'm a great resource! I can bleed all over a map and boost your score!

Seriously, good advice guys thank you. Hook sent me those maps a while back - can't say they helped me a lot, but that's just me. They are a great training tool. It still blows my mind how someone can be dodging/jumping and mid-jump take me out (while i'm dodging/jumping) with the lg - just amazing. I'm more of a Redeemer in a phone booth kinda guy myself - I'll die if I can take two of you out with me! Pound

prograham
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 Feldrew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> UT2004 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: