FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Server Setup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:42 am GMT    Post subject: Server Setup? Reply with quote

I am thinking about starting up a server for my clan Razz . You guys got any tips or advice on how to go about getting it up and running. I remember that you guys are using Killer Pings for yours and I will probably do the same. I want to have the votable gametypes and chat filter and all that like you guys have, except i will add some additional gametypes like Onslaught, TAM, Freon and Co-op. Thumb
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that kind of covers a lot of ground. I think it would probably be easier to tackle problems as they come up instead of trying to get everything at once. It's too easy to forget a important detail Wink

When you get a server from a service you'll have a vanilla server running DM I believe. After that is when you customize it to your liking. You'll have to learn to know and love your ut2004.ini. That's where most of the changes you make to the server will be located. Check out the wiki here for some tips
http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Main_Page
It's a bit of a jumble, but you should be able to find some useful information there. One of the most important things you'll need is a redirection service to send custom maps to your clients. If they're downloaded from the game server it'll be slow as hell, and you'll probably lag out your server. Our redirect is private, but there's free redirect services available. Check this out for an option http://www.unrealadmin.org/uz I've seen other free services also, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Give that stuff a look over, and ask if you have any questions.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zoe, I have talked it over with my clan president and some of my other clanmates and the new server is a go. My hopes are that once we have a server again more of the clan will come by to play like they used to when we had a server before. The dude that was running it before paid for it himself and decided to shut it down, so we've been without ever since, and cosequently not near as many people were playing regularly. I figure that even if they don't come back right away the server should have plenty of traffic if it has Freon on it Thumb .

Don't think that you've gotten rid of me that easily tho, i still intend to come around and annoy you guys as often as i can. Very Happy
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I want to set up is the chat filter. What version of the chat filter do you guys use? I like the way yours is set up and I would like to emulate it. I found setup instructions on the unreal admin site, but i wanted to check with you first to see what you guys are doing. I have to admit The Crusty server is a class act, it is one of the few places out there that i would feel comfortable letting one of my kids play on. It is my intention to try to run our server with the same integrity. There are plenty of servers to go to and get cussed at and listen to a lot of vulgarity, i want the TOJ server to be a haven from all that like yours. You guys have been my mentors since the first time I stumbled accross your server. If I hadn't found you guys I probably would have given up on the game a long time ago. Thumb
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Tea, we use ServerExt, found here http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/ServerExt#Downloads

Follow instructions there, and I'll send you a pm shortly.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server is most of the way there Very Happy . I got the chat filter, TAM, Freon, Onslaught, and UTcomp1.6 set up for DM and TDM, all working Thumb . Now it is time to start adding our favorite maps . I am entertaining the idea of adding Unreal 1 coop mod too.

The server IP is 69.65.32.52:7777 . Your welcome to come by and hang out Razz

Thanks Zoe for all the usefull links and other helps you provided, i would have struggled for a long time to figure it out myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> UT2004 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: