FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Diagnostics ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Tea Cool I'm glad you're getting your machine worked out. PSU problems can be a pita to track down. Hopefully now that you have solid power your gfx card will perform up to spec Thumb

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all of my new parts back and much to my dimay my comp is still stuttering a bit in certain maps in ut2k4. I have been doing more in depth research on the net and I am finding that I am not the only one having this problem. It seems it may have something to do with nvidia card and the amd dual core processors. It sounds like AMD admitted to a problem and released info to motherboard manufacturers to update the bios. Nvidia supposedly has been having problems as well with its newer drivers and the dual core AMD's. So it looks like It could very well be a driver and bios issue. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait for new driver and bios updates and hope it fixes the problem.

All stuttering aside the computer is running well otherwise. I managed to overclock it on stock voltage from 2.0ghz to 2.45ghz stabily. It runs at 50-52 degrees when under full load, and idles around 37 degrees. I have been playing with vid card overclock as well, I have managed to get the gpu up to 630mhz from 490mhz stabily. It runs about 55 degrees under load, and idles at 46-47 degrees. It seems like it will go a fair amount further, I had it up to 750 mhz and my comp locked up while playing ut so I backed it down to where it is now Embarassed .
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're getting your comp straightened out. Hopefully a new bios will get you fixed up proper. Don't forget to overclock your gfx card memory also. That'll give you a bit more performance also.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the vid memorry overclocked now too, from 400 to 520 mhz so far.
Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the motherboard you have has onboard graphics.. Since you are using a videocard.. Did you disable the onboard with in the bios?? Also in the bios disable anything that says spread spectrum and cool and quiet.

And make sure you have the dual core hotfix from MS installed.. and the dual core optimizer from AMD installed. I have the same cpu as you do.. Mine is a Toledo sitting at 2.9ghz

Also try setting ut to run on one core.. Ut is NOT multithreaded so running on two core will make it stutter a bit...

Hit ctrl alt del open up task manager and go to processes .. right click on the ut exe and set affinity to one core.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove{hLk} wrote:
I see the motherboard you have has onboard graphics.. Since you are using a videocard.. Did you disable the onboard with in the bios?? Also in the bios disable anything that says spread spectrum and cool and quiet.

And make sure you have the dual core hotfix from MS installed.. and the dual core optimizer from AMD installed. I have the same cpu as you do.. Mine is a Toledo sitting at 2.9ghz

Also try setting ut to run on one core.. Ut is NOT multithreaded so running on two core will make it stutter a bit...

Hit ctrl alt del open up task manager and go to processes .. right click on the ut exe and set affinity to one core.

Thanks for the info Groove, Yes the motherboard is set to disable the onboard graphics, all the spectrum settings are disabled as well. I have the AMD dual core optimizer installed, but I didn't install a MS hotfix, I will go and look for that today. I will also try running UT on 1 core.

I have heard claims that the X2 3800 Toledo was an awesome overclocker, with people getting it clocked up like you do. May I ask how you got it up that high. I am a newbie to overclocking. I got it up to 2.45ghz stable on stock voltage, it passed the stress test for over 24hrs. At 2.47ghz it failed the stress test after about 2 hours.
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to throw more voltage at it Wink Bump it up a couple of notches and see if you get more stability, with decent temps (I like to keep it under 60C). You may also need a good after market heatsink to really push the cpu.

Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe wrote:
Time to throw more voltage at it Wink Bump it up a couple of notches and see if you get more stability, with decent temps (I like to keep it under 60C). You may also need a good after market heatsink to really push the cpu.

I bumped it up .05v. I was able to get it up to 2.6ghz, I think i am going to have to figure out how to change the ram settings, because I can get it to almost boot at 2.7 but windows barks out a blue screen and shuts down. I can get it to boot at 2.65 ghz but it seems a bit unstable. I could probably squeeze 2.62 or three out of it, but i like even numbers so i'll leave it at 2.6. Wink I am running a stress test on it at the 2.6, and after 10 minutes it is stable and running at 55 degrees. i'm gonna break away from stress test and play some ut2k4 and then let the stress test run overnight just to verify it.

Thanks a lot guys!!
Groove{hLk}
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Toledo is an awesome overclocker. It will hit 2.7ghz on the stock voltage.
Actually i can undervolt it to 1.29 volts and it is orthos stable for 12 hours lol.
But to hit 2.9 it needs 1.4 volts.
my settings are as follows
cpu core 1.4 volts
cpu mult 10x
FSB = 290
HTT multi = 3x
chipset voltage = 1.8 volts
mem volts = 2.7

You first need to find out what is the weak link in your system.
to take the ram out of the picture set it to run at 100mhz
and loosing the timings up as much as you can. say 3-4-4-8 2T command rate
bump up your vcore and see how high of a fsb you can get

then to check if your mobo can handle high fsb , drop your cpu multi down to 8 and try 300mhz fsb 300x8 = 2.4 .. see where i am getting at?

This will determine the weakest link in your setup.
my mobo will do 350mhz fsb .. but i have to run to high of a divider on my ram.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!! Thanks Groove. I don't have all of the adjustments that you have, but I put the memory at 100mhz and set the timings like you said, and I am typing this right now at 2.9ghz and 1.4v and 3x hyperthreading (ram shows 289mhz Laughing ) . How should I proceed from here? It seems the ram is my weak link. I don't know anything about ram timings. The Ram settings were on auto before. I am going on vacation this week so I won't be able to play with it any more till i get back, but I will have a laptop with me so I will at least be able to come here and get more ideas.

Thanks again Groove!!!!
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed around with it for a little while after my last post, and I have it running at 2.7ghz (had to set fsb to 271 to get an even 2700mhz Confused) on stock voltage. The ram timings are 3-3-3-7, is that acceptable Confused ? The ram is running at 448mhz. I am running orthos to see if it is stable or not, i'll keep you posted.
Captain_Tea
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Teabags wrote:
I messed around with it for a little while after my last post, and I have it running at 2.7ghz (had to set fsb to 271 to get an even 2700mhz Confused) on stock voltage. The ram timings are 3-3-3-7, is that acceptable Confused ? The ram is running at 448mhz. I am running orthos to see if it is stable or not, i'll keep you posted.

Orthos ran for 8 1/2 hours with no problems at the above settings before I shut it off (didn't want it running all week while i'm gone). Temps are pretty cool 50-55deg. I will leave it here for now till I know more about ram timings and such, then I'll push her back up to 2.9ghz Thumb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk & Hardware Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: