FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Who plays to win?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Who plays to win? Reply with quote

Ok...I know we all play because it's fun and we enjoy the game.

But who plays to win? Who tries their hardest to win the map when they play? I mean c'mon, it's a first-person-shooter/Deathmath/Unreal Tournament! Is there anyone out there who's not trying to win when they play?

If you play to win...is it done fair and honorably? Can you do both?

I play to win, but more important to me is the fact that I try to play well. I try for the best frag/death ratio I can get. I'd like to think that while I'm playing, I play fairly.

So lets hear everyone elses input.
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play to win, as I'm sure most everybody plays to win at some point. There's nothing wrong with playing to win, but realize when you're dominating everybody on the server and relax your gameplay a bit. Nobody likes to get drug through the mud over and over again. I feel like you're getting misconstrued with some of the comments on here towards you. Nothing is wrong with playing to win, the problem lies in dominating the server for rounds on end. That's when having fun leads into frustration and then frustration leads to people leaving the server. Personally, I enjoy playing with you, it keeps me on my toes, but we're not the only people on the server. We have to keep in mind that there are players that are new to the game or not as experienced that might get perturbed or frustrated by getting pounded every round by the same person. You're not the first person, nor the last to come on the Crusty server and dominate. You are however the only one still around that has stuck around because you don't have the elitest prick syndrome. Protos the Great was one that didn't do so well and ended up getting banned from the server, because not only did he like to dominate, he liked to whine and bash everybody as well. So in saying that, nobody is relfex bashing, we just want you to relax your gameplay a bit when you realize that you're dominating the server. We try to cater to everybody, so in order to do that we have to make sure the flow of the server is acceptable for everybody. We all know you're a phenomenal player and we're not trying to tell you to never win, just notice when you're playing with people that aren't at your skill level, win a few rounds, and then relax your gameplay to give the little guys a chance to win and say YES! I BEAT REFLEX!
ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

tehswift(Co30) wrote:
You are however the only one still around that has stuck around because you don't have the elitest prick syndrome.

I still get thumped enough that I stay pretty humble. I think hook takes partcular delight in mopping the floor with me. Smilie My version of taking it easy is I just get out and spectate a few rounds...I've always been quite lousy at letting people beat me. (Unless you ask my 3 year old. He'll wipe me out in air hockey. Smilie )

I appreciate your comments though. Now I just wish I'd see more of you on the server than on this forum. Come play!
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz I think you should all just stand still and let me kill you. Joker

All joking aside, personally I play to win, but I know what it's like to get discouraged by someone mopping the floor with me repeatedly. I quit playing for over a month last year because I got tired of getting pounded on. Once I got past my little temper tantrum, I realized that instead of treating it like a pounding I needed to analize my opponents more, and I started getting better. I still get the tar beat out of me by Hook and Corn, but now I can actually kill them every now and then when they have 1 health left Laughing . Being the noob who takes a pounding, when someone starts to complain about being pounded on I try to encourage them to stick around and keep coming back so they will learn and I offer them tips when I can.

UT2004 is very fast paced compared to most fps's and it takes a long time to hone your skills, which is why so many get frustrated.
tehswift(Co30)
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ref13x wrote:
tehswift(Co30) wrote:
You are however the only one still around that has stuck around because you don't have the elitest prick syndrome.

I appreciate your comments though. Now I just wish I'd see more of you on the server than on this forum. Come play!

I've been kinda burned out on DM at the moment. Been playing TAM on the YellowSub server quite a bit (only TAM server that I get a good ping on). I still hop on crusty when the server count is low to get tossed around a bit. My ping sky rockets when there's more than 6 people on there though, warping, jumping on rockets and all that fun stuff.
is a Nali Poster

Location: Buffalo,NY. A drinking town with a football problem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish more players had swift's mindset about playing this and many other games I could think of.

I could go into stories about CCG's, computer games and console games I've quit playing due to overly competitive players stripping the fun out of the experience. I even have a group of friends / family who all but destroyed roleplaying games for me due to them thinking it's some contest of Game Master VS Players... which is totally not the case.

Thank you 'swift, for voicing an opinion I have been struggling to put into words. If I'd have said it myself it would have come off much more heavy handed and probably whiney too.
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like you, I for one am not a good player because I do not play every time I boot up and for awhile even thought of changing skins and my tag just to see if players were homing in on my skin knowing it was an easy kill. Some maps the minute I spawned I was fragged and that tends to get on my nerves and spoils my mood. Even when I log on now and see the list I just say the heck with it. The last few months has been hard on me and I need no extra grief. I remember when logging on at 10pm was a hoot, now 10pm I need to sleep instead, I do miss the night gang, but it's just not there yet for me.
is a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:47 pm GMT    Post subject: intense views Reply with quote

Coming from the "Blue Collar" view I just love to play. When I was growing up, if you wanted to learn to fight you had to get your ass kicked by the big kids( kinda sucked.) Because of the good graces of the folks on this server I've become a much better player. I have noticed that some people here have eased up on occasion and didn't give me the thrashing I probably deserve. It was never expected but was very cool of them. In the rare event that I have played on a server where there are people less skillfull, I had to get a little "frag-cotic" but when I felt guilty and eased up they back fragged me. Feel free to mop the floor with Me just put me back in the bucket when you are done. By the way What is a frag-kill ratio (hehe) as always thanks for the server.

the only substitute for lack of skill is sneaky spam ! !

B>S[/b]
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play to win ? Sure for a match or two. Then the effort required to perform at a winning level at my age / skill level out-weighs the fun of winning and I settle back into the middle or bottom of the pack and I go try and climb somewhere i'm not supposed to get to, or i just leave the server. Not bothering playing is the norm for me of late.

Re; playing to win all the time, christ no...

There are a handful of people playing on Co30 the below needs to pertain to, in my eyes. It's out there in black and .. errr.. grey... from the people that paid a lot of $$ out of their own pockets (for years i might add) to provide people an enjoyable place to play. I think a lot of people never actually read the General Guidlines portion of our rules. They stop at the end of player regulations.

http://www.co30.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26

General Conduct Guidelines:
Players (especially those with much experience) should consider their own skill level in relation to the other players, both during and at the end of each game. If your skills are beyond the average on the server at the time, then relax your playing style to give others space. You can check your FPH (frags per hour) rating during the game as a guide to your level - you don't need to be winning to be dominating play.**

This concept is a basic part of sportsmanship I was brought up with.

These are guidlines of course. If 2-3 leet players are on, have a great competetive go at it. Win, do your best to prove your mastery of hand eye co-ordination or whatever.

Your sarcastic comments logged on the server last night indicate a lack of understanding of the above concept, and a certain lack of respect. ( i may be taking them out of context ) You seem like a nice enough guy, you play fair according to the stricter rules of the server. It's this general guidelines portion the high skilled players of late, (in my view) seem to not want to acknowledge exists when they're mopping up the server match after match. These guidlines have always been part of the Co30 server.

When any player is on mopping up ( ie winning by large margins) map after map, it serves to discourage players, drive new/regular lesser players from the server. The elite few wonder why servers empty after a few maps ? Aimbot accusations ? Drop it down a notch, leave the power ups for others, leave the matrix skins at home, use a useless adrenile combo... go find a more competetive server.

- opinions expressed are mine, and figures somewhat in why i don't play much anymore, that and being bored with UT and playing with 10 peeps is too frustrating for me these days... Confused
ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

birch wrote:

Your sarcastic comments logged on the server last night indicate a lack of understanding of the above concept, and a certain lack of respect. ( i may be taking them out of context ) Confused

Had you been watching me play, then you'd realize they were takien out out of context. I was giving players that had spwned all my weapons, I even gave a redeemer away a couple times. I don't think I fired at anyone and came in last on both maps I played on. Everyone beat me and got to see a spectactular weapon juggling display in the process. Razz

I may win by a large margin occasionally, but I'm sure you guys have records of the maps played on the server. When I do win, it's usually not by very much. And I'm not winning on your guy's server near as often as you to seem to think I am.
is a Nali Poster

Location: Buffalo,NY. A drinking town with a football problem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:58 am GMT    Post subject: Re: intense views Reply with quote

BLACK>SUNSHINE wrote:

the only substitute for lack of skill is sneaky spam ! !

AMEN! that's how I get a good 75% of my frags. Cool
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun. Winning is seldom an option at my skill level nor is my motivation so great that I need to win - I just don't have the patience to be double-tapping/twisting/turning the whole time. When I get a frag on a real fine player - Tob, Reflex, Atvar, quite a few others - it's a hoot.

I have a job with plenty of stress, wife, kids, mortgage, etc (which many of you deal with as well) - this game is a relaxing and fun way to end my day. And it keeps me from throwin' a frag into the 8th grade lunchroom where I teach......... OMG

ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldrewCo30 wrote:
I have a job with plenty of stress, wife, kids, mortgage, etc (which many of you deal with as well) - this game is a relaxing and fun way to end my day. And it keeps me from throwin' a frag into the 8th grade lunchroom where I teach......... OMG

Heh...my job is one of the few things in my life that isn't stressful. However, since my wife works for the school district teaching the special needs classroom and acting as an advocate for parents with special needs children, I can somewhat appreciate where you're coming from. Two of our three children are special needs cases, so by the time they're all in bed for the day, UT is my way of unwinding before I go to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> UT2004 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: