FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.co30.com

Kjartan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:47 am GMT    Post subject: Kjartan Reply with quote

Yo Ho check in if this is your only contact.

Last edited by OLDMAN(Co30) on Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:45 pm GMT; edited 2 times in total
ref13x
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if it isn't your only contact...you're still a ho!! Razz
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our mate is in the midst of a long-distance move. Sure hope he packed clean undies! Joker

Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yo-Ho (not a ho, just a n00b!)

Yuppers,
Just made the move from Ohio to California last week and been unpacking this week (woo-hoo! moving is such a joy Shocked ). Anyway, just got the cable company out to install my high-speed today, so tonight I should have a chance to check my ping on the xgs server, hopefully it's still decent!

As a matter of fact, though my wife will no doubt think I've spent all day playing instead of unpacking etc. if she comes in and I'm on, I think I'll get on right now for a couple of games and see how the ping is (she's already started work and is due home any minute, but I don't start work 'til November).

BTW: I'm in the market for a new CRT (21"-22"), my old one blew a tube and my only monitor for the nonce is a 15" LCD/FPD. It'll work, but I'm sure Hook would agree that it's just not the same ;P (tends to blur a little -- unless my eyes are finally going!!!). So, if anyone knows of any deals on monitors right now I'm all ears.

Joker

. . . well, maybe a rocket ho . . .
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad alls well and you made the move. Tell her you needed to do a study of ping lose and also to check that the pc was in good working order Rolling Eyes I take it your e-mail acount has changed if so be sure to drop BC a line with the info. The gang misses you were tired of winning maps Joker
birch
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear the move was uneventful, off until November ?? Shocked Bastard !!

Quote:
It'll work, but I'm sure Hook would agree that it's just not the same ;P (tends to blur a little -- unless my eyes are finally going!!!).

I had a hard time adjusitng when I got my 20" 1680x1050 LCD 16ms ( thought it was 12ms ..but no..) You do get used to the blurring after a bit. I don't notice it at all now. The clarity for text and when playing in native resolution is great. I won't go back to a CRT. LCD fits my needs, widescreen gaming is where it's at !!

Mine is the 16ms model 2007WFP, it has all the extra video inputs, but now they're stating 5ms, the price has dropped by a couple hundred dollars. I can use it as a bedroom or other widescreen TV down the road with a tuner or DVD player if I feel the need to change/update.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/11/dell-busts-out-e207wfp-20-inch-lcd-for-the-budget-set/
Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Oldman! All I can say is, next time you see someone driving a Uhaul truck down the road, keep your distance 'cause they don't know how the heck to drive a vehicle that large!!! (actually, it wasn't too bad -- had a 26 ft. truck with a trailer carrying my car -- it was the trailer that was the hard part, couldn't reverse worth a darn).

I'm keeping the same email, I just haven't had access to it. I use an email client to interact with my email server (Eudora), but I haven't been able to get it working here yet. I think my outgoing/incoming local server has given me some sort of default password that I need to figure out cause it keeps telling me "host not found." Hopefully I can get that resolved today.

"off until November ?? Bastard !!" LOL!

Yes!!! It'll be nice to have some time to get everything together.

Thanks for the heads up on the monitor. The price for that display is sweet -- especially with the viewing area, 5ms, etc. I told myself I was going to stick with crts until plasmas became affordable, so, I may or may not stick to my guns on this one (the last time I made such a pronouncement it was about cell phones and how I was never gonna get one, then my wife got us both a pair (she insisted) and I ended up getting hooked).

BTW: As far as ping goes, I've been playing anywhere from the low to mid/upper 100s -- so my hat's off to Zoe. I got whooped last night playing on altitude and then serpentine with a 160 ping . . . if Zoe can offer any advice for dealing with high ping, now would be the time to share! Wink

Joker
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ping advice, all it takes is practice. You'll need to lead your targets more, and try to keep more distance between you and your opponent. Against intuition, I feel that hitscan from a distance is easier to deal with than splash damage up close is. In close combat things go by too fast, and it's too hard to lead shots when your ping is high. That's a big reason I took to the shock rifle. The combo blast covers a fairly large area, so it's more tolerant of being off target by a little bit. LG also, it's slow to recharge, but you get good visual confirmation of where your shot went so you can correct your aim on the following shot.

For the monitor I'd get an LCD. I wouldn't touch a plasma with a 10' pole. At my bank there's 2 plasma tvs that show news, and banking information. Well it has a stock ticker that's up about 25% of the time. The stock ticker has burned into the bottom of the display, so even when it's showing something else you still see it at the bottom. Those things cost too much money to have that happen. That was with it being on the screen 25% of the time. Imagine what a Windows task bar would to to the display Vomit .

That looks like a nice monitor that B][rch linked to. If they had had that in 24" I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. The 2 problems with LCD are very minor ghosting, and 1 good resolution. The ghosting isn't even an issue. I imagine that monitor your using is fairly old. They've come a long way in the last few years. My laptop display ghosts horribly, but none of the ones I've gotten for my desktop have. You'll see a little more than you did with your crt, but you don't even notice it after the first day.

The resolution may be a bigger problem. They only look good at their native resolution(in my case 1920*1200) That can takes some gfx horsepower to drive with the newer games. You may have to purchase gfx cards more frequently to keep your fps up, but that's a small price to pay for superior colors, crisp text, and a small destop footprint. I could probably fit 3 of my 2407fwp' in the same area as your old 21" crt. I'd pay $1000 dollars for an LCD before I'd take a CRT for free. LCD FTW!!!

Kjartan
is a Nali Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Zoe. I see what you mean about the cqb (close quarters battle/combat). I used to rock at cqb but today I was wondering what the heck was wrong with all my shots because I kept missing. And I tried the hitscan out a little and you're right about that too, looks like I may start using hitscan a bit more. I was playing in the low 100s today (usually in the 108-116 range), and even though that's nothing like what you used to have to deal with (I remember seeing your ping consistently in the 190-215 range (if I remember correctly)), it's still an adjustment because I used to ping consistently in the 40s on this server and it seems like the foundation of this game is reflexes. Certainly once you get reflexes down and are able to do the basics like weapons-switching and obtain a decent accuracy with each weapon, then the game becomes more interesting (sort of like chess) -- but you can't get to that stage if your noobie basics are not sound. I think that's why so many people quit while they are still noobs. It takes a lot of practice just to get down the basic skills, much more than any other game that I've played (certainly more than the other fps's out there that I've tried and I don't even think it's an issue with games like World of Warcraft (rpgs), Command and Conquer (strats), or Civilization (kind of in a league of it's own)).

As far as the monitor issue goes: thanks for the info on the plasma screens. Burn in would be quite a nasty problem to have with such an expensive piece of equipment (heck, I wouldn't want to deal with it at lcd or crt prices). I looked into that and it looks like I'd be double-fu**ed, as I am now living in the mountains (San Bernardino chain) and I read that plasmas are especially troublesome with the burn issue at 5000 ft. +, and I am even higher up than that. So, it may just be that my lcd has given me a bad experience (I was one of the first "kids" on the block to get one when they came out), and they really have gotten a lot better. I'll still have to make a decision on that . . .

Ciao

Joker
OLDMAN(Co30)
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the cqb info I be sure to use it on you Joker Hammer time And thank you Zoe with giving me a tad bit more edge. Pound
Zoe
is a Veteran Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!!! Crying or Very sad

feldrewCo30
has Posting Diarrhea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody call for some CQCB? Hold on, let me go get my KaBar!!!! Pound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.co30.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: